LegacyGT.com

CV Boot Flinging Grease?/Grease ID ('05 OBXT) [RESOLVED]

Howdy! This is my first post here but I have been reading the forum for years. 

Anyways - 

On the interstate the other day, when smoke/steam pours out from behind my vehicle. Pull over, see oil/grease all over the back-passenger side of the engine, under the turbo. Initially was sure I had lost my turbo oil return, but further inspection indicates that the rogue fluid is more viscous than engine or transmission oil, and is a thick grey. 

Now, I think that my CV boot let go and flung grease everywhere, but I still can't find where the grease would have come from.

I have attached some photos of the area, in hopes that some of you may be able to confirm that the grease is from the CV. Any ideas on how the grease could escape while I still can't find a hole or fracture?

20220806_155248.jpg

20220806_155242.jpg

20220806_155236.jpg

Edited by lgb802

Have you jacked the car up, put on some gloves and felt the entire boot with your hand? That definitely looks like grease from your cv boot. Axle has to come out regardless to repair, so might as well pull it and inspect it while its in your hand and pull it apart. The metal bands could have come loose, or might be a small slit or hole you can't see.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! 

I felt around with gloves and didn't find any issues with the boot, but today I went ahead and pulled the axle out. Turns out, the joint completely failed, sprayed grease everywhere, and I still couldn't find the hole, haha. 

Oh well, just glad it's relatively inexpensive to fix. Is it possible to replace a CV joint, or do I have to replace the whole axle?

• lgb802 changed the title to CV Boot Flinging Grease?/Grease ID ('05 OBXT) [RESOLVED]