LegacyGT.com

Both headlights went out exact same time

Hi I recently took a trip to Zion last week and the morning we left I realized my headlights weren't working and they were working 1-2 days before. I find it highly unlikely both bulbs went out at the same time. So I checked both fuses inside the cabin one for the left and right headlamps and both are good not blown. My high beams and fogs still work, it's just my low beams. I came  across a YouTube video with a guy with the same problem and he swapped the DRL module under the dash and it solved his issues. So I swapped mine from a junker at the junkyard and it didn't work either. Maybe I got a defective one as it was in AZ where the heat destroys electronics. What do you think it is? I REALLY don't wanna pay a shop to diagnose this and would like to solve it on my own. Any help is appreciated!!!

Before digging too deep I'd verify that both bulbs are still in fact good. It's unlikely they died at the same time, but certainly possible. What year is your legacy? The drl's in my '09 were the high beams, not the lows

Is the only way to check if the bulbs are bad is to buy new ones and swap them in? I remember replacing both maybe like 2 years ago because 1 side went out so that's why I don't think it's the bulbs. My DRL's still work but in the video I was talking about the guy said the DRL module went bad and that's what he replaced. My car is a 06 outback ll bean but same chassis as a legacy

https://youtu.be/V_JRC4yCg60

Not sure I can help much, but you can use a multimeter to do a continuity check on the bulbs to see if they're good or not. You said your DRLs still work, so to me that means the bulbs are good.  I believe 2005 through 2007 cars use the low beams for DRLs, in 2008 Subaru changed to using the high beams.

I'm a big fan of using junkyards for parts, but the problem is with certain things (like electronics) you don't know if the part you're getting is any better than the one on your own car.  I don't know enough about the DRL module to say much else, but if the bulbs and fuses are good, then I'm not sure what else it might be.

And it's not unheard of for both headlights to go out at the same time. I've had that happen once, one headlight burnt out and before I could pick up replacements, the other went a day or two later.  2 to 3 years is what I typically get out of a new bulb, and yes, it's good practice to replace both at the same time.  But again, if your DRLs still work, then the bulbs aren't the problem.

The same thing happened to me before.  The stock USDM head lights eat bulbs.  I went though bulbs every 6 months, the first cold night one year I had both bulbs go out within a coupe of hours of each other.  I swapped to the JDM HID headlights and haven't replaced a bulb in over 5 years, they have paid for themselves.  I have the DRL disconnected but I normally drive with the headlights on anyway.  

• Thanks 1