LegacyGT.com

Fuel Tank Leaking on top

• 1 month later...

Glad to find this thread. Started to smell a little fuel recently, and after confirming no drop on the ground and nothing leaking in the engine bay (!!!) I figured the last thing left would be a leak around the pump.

So, this morning before work I pulled the seat and pump covers, and sure enough, there is just a little fuel around the pump. Bah!! Cleaned it all up and took a couple loops around the block. It just *seeps* a tiny bit where the pump clamp secures the pump onto the gasket below. Took the OB to work. Yay....🤨

At least I am pretty sure I assembled it in the correct order. Re-reading the thread makes me wonder. Can't understand why I would have 2 months with nothing wrong, then all of a sudden a tiny leak. The only thing that comes to mind is that it appears the rubberized fender/rocker paint I used to coat the tank before install is *not* fuel resistant. So..... maybe there was a little bit of that on the gasket flange, which turned to goo and is leaking a little?

Either way, pump assembly comes out tonight after work to take a look. Fingers crossed it is just a matter cleaning everything up a re-seating everything?! I've got a 1.5 hour drive through the country this weekend to go pick up a little hobby lathe I found used and was really hoping to do it in the fun car.

Thanks. I was sort of thinking that maybe for this particular job, getting out the tiny torque wrench would be a good idea. More to make sure the clamping force is spread out across the gasket evenly that anything else.

I don’t even know if the FSM will have a torque spec for those studs…

Of course it does.

I'll edit them into this post when I find them this evening. Fingers crossed the easy fix is enough. Next up is something that would look like your JB weld job, if there is cracking in the pump housing, or whatever. Bah!

Edited by KZJonny

Removed pump. Cleaned melting paint from the gasket and mating surface and reinstalled with some non-hardening gasket maker on the top flange of the pump. There was a small (old) crack in the top of the pump housing. Torqued to ~40in/lbs….

Seems like a common problem, since the spare pump assy. I have also has the same cracking.

Left it overnight to cure, and so far so good. Fingers crossed it stays dry! Doesn’t look like you can buy just the plastic pump housing, and the unit with a pump is like 3 hundo! Wouldn’t need the pump either, so that’s a waste of money.

well...I am back where I started. After filling up, I got home and noticed it smelled like fuel. A check through the access panel and yup its leaking again. I was very suspicious about why all the sudden it wasn't leaking just by changing the stack up. I am now thinking that some cracks I noticed in my pump housing are the cause, that or my original theory of tank pressure. Either way, I have a gravel section off my driveway that I park my car so no rush but winter project is replace as much fuel and vacuum line back there as I can. Maybe the fuel pump hanger

• Like 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I remember when this happened to me, the dealer just replaced the whole assembly, which is what I'd expect a dealer to do.

Looking around online, it does look like you can get the fuel pump housing in pieces. Going off memory from a thread I remember seeing, I think part code 42052DD is what typically cracks? Looks like you can just replace that if so, MSRP $106, PN 42052AG87A

pump.jpg

• Like 1