LegacyGT.com

Front Suspension Creaking After Ball Joint Replacment

My mechanic recently replaced both my front ball joints and top hats to fix a clunking from the front end. While the clunking noise over uneven pavement is gone, there is now a groaning noise when I turn the wheel hard left/right at low speeds (such as parking). The noise only occurs at very slow speeds with significant steering wheel rotation.

Any ideas on the cause and should I be concerned? 

Low power steering fluid? Is alignment verified as within spec? 

At first read I don't think the new parts are to blame, but I'm not very smart. See if you can narrow down where the sound is coming from. Left/right side etc. I'm thinking something like steering pump or rack or low fluid or dirty old fluid is the ultimate culprit, but try to rule out the easy tests. 

Edited by seanyb505

On 7/29/2022 at 12:20 PM, seanyb505 said:

Low power steering fluid? Is alignment verified as within spec? 

At first read I don't think the new parts are to blame, but I'm not very smart. See if you can narrow down where the sound is coming from. Left/right side etc. I'm thinking something like steering pump or rack or low fluid or dirty old fluid is the ultimate culprit, but try to rule out the easy tests. 

Thanks, I found my PS fluid at the min line. I am going to flush it and see if this resolves the issue.

• Like 1