LegacyGT.com

Air Filter - damaged hose stay

2009 Legacy 3.0R

just replaced the air filter under the hood (first time) and may have damaged a hose-stay for what I think is a power steering fluid hose...or it was already damaged. However it happened, it's definitely damaged and though the hose doesn't seem inclined to move much, it's not secured as it seems designed to be.

Is this unsafe? Or no biggie? Any ideas on how to secure the hose without replacing the air filter case?

IMG_D901A7B07AB5-1.jpeg

8 minutes ago, relative4 said:

No biggie.  Less than none.  Find something else to worry about.

thanks man, encouraging. and yeah, plenty else to think about. only thing that occurs to me is it seems to be slightly resting on the metal thing, circled below. maybe that gets hotter than the hose can handle? I dunno. Not doubting your assessment, or being neurotic, just don't want to overlook anything

IMG_8E84D83FDDAE-1.jpeg

Edited by jrizz

Honestly I wouldn't be worried at all (and I'm a worry wort). It looks like you need to get a new airbox half to get that clip, and msrp for that is $53.

I think you might be missing another clip though, which would do a better job of keeping that power steering hose off of what I think is an oil control valve. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can purchase this clip separately from subaru, but maybe you could hook a ziptie around each hose, and then use a 3rd smaller one to join the two together? I might look around a bit more later for a more proper solution, something closer to OEM. (that clip could just be out of frame in your pic too?)

pshose.png

pshose2.png

Edited by apexi
  • Thanks 1

Yep, zip tie if you really feel the need.   IMO its just to keep the hose from chafing if it moves.

• Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

whew...that was a tricky little stitch...but thanks everybody, i haven't had a car for almost 20 years (living in NYC) and I'd like to keep it as tip-top as I can, extra so as the previous owner took really good care, i want to keep up the tradition.

@apexi i think the clip you were referring to is in the third pic?

IMG_7469.jpg

IMG_7471.PNG

IMG_7462.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrizz said:

@apexi i think the clip you were referring to is in the third pic?

Yep, that's the one. Be aware of this if you're still in the NYC area, or anywhere that gets snow in the winter. Parts of the hard metal brake lines under the car can rust out. A fix through subaru is like $3,000. A (better) fix through an independent shop is like $300-$700.  one example fix

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCMN-14V311-4153.pdf

• Thanks 1

You can see that problem spot by getting under the right rear seat area from under the car.  My Dealership replaced mine under warranty a few years back.

There's a thread on here about recall/DIY replacement.

• Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

6 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Yep, zip tie if you really feel the need.   IMO its just to keep the hose from chafing if it moves.

I think the connection at the pump could leak from the weight of the hose, when left unsupported for an extended period of time. They handled the chafing concern with the bits of soft rubber

• Like 1