LegacyGT.com

AVCS cleaning/maintenance?

Just wondering if the AVCS needs a clean or not. I’ve got 270,000 miles original and wondering if it has to be done or not. Or if I should wait until the timing belt to do it? Looks like an involved project.

Only reason I ask is because I was looking to delete that union bolt filter. Then I went down a rabbit hole. Lol

thanks!

Other then when the heads were rebuilt. My 05 still has the OEM's installed.  

Use good oil and you should be fine. I think you know these cars do better when driven for long distance. At lest long enough to get the oil hot and boil the moisture out.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You're talking about the avcs gears, right? I don't think they're supposed to be serviceable. People have definitely opened them and cleaned them, and there are write ups and videos. The problem is there's a flower shaped gasket that isn't sold. So if you break it (270k and 17 years old, btw) you're stuck buying used (gamble) or new. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

Other then when the heads were rebuilt. My 05 still has the OEM's installed.  

Use good oil and you should be fine. I think you know these cars do better when driven for long distance. At lest long enough to get the oil hot and boil the moisture out.

Uh, that's troublesome.. Because my job is literally less than 5 mins away. Ugh, other than parking it and getting a sh1tbox for these short trips, or getting a different job, any advice?

1 hour ago, Jolbaru_LGT said:

Uh, that's troublesome.. Because my job is literally less than 5 mins away. Ugh, other than parking it and getting a sh1tbox for these short trips, or getting a different job, any advice?

My job could be five min away, I take a long route to make it closer to 15 min so that I get properly warm on each trip. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1