LegacyGT.com

Turbo back exhuast install -what do I need for tuning?

GearJamr

I've been delaying installing my turbo back exhaust (invida catted dp with single O2 bung, 3" nameless mid-pipe, 2.5" fujitsubo mufflers) to wait for my headers and do it all at once, but since the headers appear to not be coming before hell freezes over (aka winter) I am looking at installing the TBE imminently.  As most of it is rotten and the left muffler is patched on to the mid-pipe it needs to be done.  My question is, do I need a simple code delete for the 2nd O2 sensor, or do I need performance tuning as well?  I was hoping to avoid having to tune twice but stuff has to get done.

A tune will definitely be needed. Aftermarket downpipe is a huge difference in flow from the stock one. 

Tell your tuner your situation, most retunes aren't a completely new fee. I think I paid $50 to go from a catless invidia to a catted grimmspeed downpipe a number of years ago. 

• Thanks 1

what year car ? 07-09 don't need catless up pipe.

You don't need the header.

After the stage 2 tune for 3" Dp, you don't need a retune for exhaust changes. I have had a number of different mid pipe backs on both cars and Tuner said no retune needed for that.

If 05-06, you can put a 2.2k ohm resistor in the EGT female connector on the right shock tower.

My 05 was dynoed with catless Dp, it now has a catted Dp, no change needed in the tune.

tuningalliance@gmail.com is who you want to get your Tune from, tell Mike I sent you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Car is an 05.  Need catless uppipe.

No I don't NEED headers, but I also don't NEED  a 3" downpipe and tbe.  But the entire system is 17 years old and rusted.  Since the manifold is getting removed to change the uppipe, might as well put the headers on while everyhing is off.

Thanks for the recommend, the local guy I am going to has been tuning Subarus for many years with no complaints so I'll give him first crack at it (and he can get me in on Monday where other tuners here are weeks to months booked).

On 7/28/2022 at 9:39 AM, Max Capacity said:

what year car ? 07-09 don't need catless up pipe.

You don't need the header.

After the stage 2 tune for 3" Dp, you don't need a retune for exhaust changes. I have had a number of different mid pipe backs on both cars and Tuner said no retune needed for that.

If 05-06, you can put a 2.2k ohm resistor in the EGT female connector on the right shock tower.

My 05 was dynoed with catless Dp, it now has a catted Dp, no change needed in the tune.

tuningalliance@gmail.com is who you want to get your Tune from, tell Mike I sent you.

Mike is who charged me for the change to catted. He even sold me the new downpipe. I had told him you sent me. 

• 2 months later...

I probably wouldn't have either except my heatshields were rusted so bad they were pretty much falling off, and the manifold was getting pretty rusted as well.  Would have had to replace in not much more time anyway.  Plus, they were all coming off to put the catless up in so a good time to change.

FWIW, Here's my manifold at 305,000 miles. The heatshields were rusted off years ago. Picture is of the rusted out oil pan, it seeped oil about 1" up on the front side.

DSCN9839.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If your stock exhaust is nasty you can most certainly install the catback exhaust, with no tune or fixes required. The stock downpipe is 2.5” so a 3” catback will require an adapter to fit, but they are cheap.

It’ll sound amazing even with the stock downpipe too.

• Like 1