LegacyGT.com

Similar setup to STI Pinks and Bilsteins for 6th gen?

I'm a former 2005 Legacy GT owner, currently driving a 2009 Legacy sedan (stock 2.5i), but I just test drove a low-mileage 2015 3.6R and I'm fairly interested in buying it. However, I wanted to know if there is a suspension upgrade path for this car that is similar to the STI Pink/Bilstein combo that worked so well on the 4th gen Legacies. I did some searching on the forum and online, but I haven't found much in terms of possible strut upgrades (I don't think Bilstein makes a set for this car?). 

This car would be a daily driver, and I'd really be looking to make it handle more like a sports car, but not a track car. I think the H&R springs would probably be too low. Would a custom coilover set really be the only way to go with the absence of strut/shock upgrades? Or is there something I'm missing?

Ideally, I'd want a very mild drop (less than an inch), with a bit firmer handling that still behaves comfortably for daily driving. Maybe this can be achieved with upgraded sway bars on stock springs/shocks?

Also as a side note, does anyone know what the stock spring rates are for the 6th gen Legacy?

Thanks!

Check out the thread titled "Will Koni Sport Yellows fit the 6th Gen?"

I use BC coilovers and I track my 3.6R. I think you could put them at close to full soft and be ok. I started with a strut bar upgraded sway bar and it "lumbered" less, and sharpened the steering, but I think you have to keep going to get a truly somewhat sporty feel.

Sidenote stay away from the white line springs, I tried those for a year and they really aren't made for the car.

18 minutes ago, DougKelly20 said:

Check out the thread titled "Will Koni Sport Yellows fit the 6th Gen?"

I use BC coilovers and I track my 3.6R. I think you could put them at close to full soft and be ok. I started with a strut bar upgraded sway bar and it "lumbered" less, and sharpened the steering, but I think you have to keep going to get a truly somewhat sporty feel.

Sidenote stay away from the white line springs, I tried those for a year and they really aren't made for the car.

Thanks for the info!

I was looking at BC's website actually, and it looks like you can select your own spring. I might get in touch with them to see if they can do something a little softer than 6kg/mm; I'm thinking maybe 4kg in the front and 5 in the rear and dialing in the right amount of damping.  If not, I might just order the bare coilover shock and get some custom springs from Hyperco. 

How are the dampers on the BC holding up over time?

I also saw on TireRack that they have Bilstein B6 struts for the Outback of the same model year, and I've heard that Outback owners have used those Bilsteins with lowering springs. I'm curious if those might actually work on the Legacy...I'll have to do some more research.

Yeah customizing your spring is probably the way to go. You can also get swift springs. In the almost two years I've had them they've been great for what they are...an entry level CO for a car that has almost zero options. Granted they are slightly unrefined ...they are no KWs...but they are perfect for swapping between street and track. 

Mine haven't deteriorated at all but I only have about 20k on them. You CAN also have them rebuilt when they wear out. All for a little over a grand upfront.  Not bad.

• Like 1