LegacyGT.com

Condensation in head unit

So this just happened to my head unit.  I googled it and it seems it happens on Subaru Outbacks too. We just had a heatwave so i think its related but who knows. Somebody on their forum suggested there was a recall for 2018 head units but I cant see anything when i input my VIN number.  Any ideas?  Car is obviously not on warranty anymore (2018).  This on top of my rattle issue makes me start to hate this car as much as I used to love it.

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

Yep, that looks like localized delamination of the display screen ... probably due to heat.

Yes, the display assembly is probably replaceable, but only by the manufacturer, an authorized service depot, or an independent electronics shop with the right tools and access to replacement OEM parts. No car dealer that I'm aware of will perform parts-level repair of vehicle electronics, including infotainment head units.

I think several people have posted on this forum (or on the Outback forum) that they have successfully replaced failed or defective head unit display screen assemblies themselves using salvage yard parts.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Does anyone know where do I find out which radios are compatible with my car?  The model of radio I have now is 86431AL65A.  but the cheapest I see online is $1100 which Im not willing to spent on this car anymore.  I found 8643AL60A which looks the same.  I dont care about anything as long as it has ApplePlay.

• 1 month later...

Hope it's not too late for the OP. I have the exact same problem in my 18 Legacy. Took it to the dealer this very morning and they are replacing it under a Subaru Service Bulletin which extended the HU warranty out to 5 years/100k miles. The bulletin number is 15-263-20. There is no charge for the repair.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SmokeyHill said:

Hope it's not too late for the OP. I have the exact same problem in my 18 Legacy. Took it to the dealer this very morning and they are replacing it under a Subaru Service Bulletin which extended the HU warranty out to 5 years/100k miles. The bulletin number is 15-263-20. There is no charge for the repair.

My car has rebuilt title so dealer and Subaru refused to do anything.  I was able to source a pristine unit off ebay and sell mine (as broken) so I'm out only $100. I replaced it myself, no reprogramming needed. 

Not sure if it was smart to replace it with same exact unit as I dont have any confidence it wont happened again.  I just need to figure out how to update the firmware because so far it fails every time 

Edited by Przemek

• 3 months later...