LegacyGT.com

So I was adjusting my rear coilovers from the trunk, someone called me and I stopped paying attention and my trunk closed.... with my keys inside. I've been meaning to get a 2nd set of keys for a long time now, basically since I bought the car cause it only came with one key. After having to call AAA to come break into my car I realized I should probably take care of this lol.

AAA Plus is the best thing ever, I highly recommend it if you don't have all that fancy stuff on your insurance or some kind of roadside assistance, its like a 100 bucks a year for 4 or 5 free tows 100 miles and roadside assistance and a bunch of discounts.... Ive more than made my money back every year with how many times I tow this car. I was in the wtf mode and then realized hmmm , I checked the AAA services and sure enough keys stuck in car was a thing, then like 15 20 minutes later some dude rolls up in a car with a kit and i'm in the trunk in like 2 minutes..... well worth that 100 bucks lol. Gotta get the plus cause it gives you like 100 miles and more tows for like an extra 30 or 40 bucks. 

I don't really care about the key fob cause I believe the key just needs to unlock or lock the driver door to arm and disarm the alarm if I recall correctly. 

Can I just go anywhere and have a key cut or do I need some subaru dealership nonsense involved? 

• Like 1

Anywhere can cut a key for it but it will only lock and unlock the door. It won’t start it unless you get a transponder key cut and programmed to the car and if I remember correctly, using the key to lock and unlock the door won’t arm or disarm the alarm. In fact if it’s armed and you unlock it with they key, the alarm will go off

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

wait your saying there is some magic chip in the key?? 

My key definitely arms and disarms the alarm when I lock and unlock the driver door just tested it. Armed it with fob, opened it with the key and started it, no alarm. Then locked it with the key and armed the alarm.

Lol Max, Ive noticed you like to send me google links a lot, are you implying something? 😛

From your link, I just have more confusion! How do I program the key, because I have a key and a seperate keyfob not an all in one. My key looks like it is already a blank, so I need to get another transponder key and reprogram it? How do you reprogram just the key and not the fob? 

From what I understand, no, the dealer has to program the key.

Call a local locksmith, they will tell you what they can and can't do.

You can go to google and search for a local locksmith...;) 

wait, I found this for the fob, so I guess the key has nothing to do, so seems like anyone can cut the key.

Ok I did a search and found this, how to program the fob, "looks like the key is not involved".   HEY, watch the second video for the 05 legacy fob, it's 2:27 long.

Here's the correct video, for a 05 legacy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I have a 2005 but, my current key doesn't need the key fob. It can arm and disarm the alarm by driver door lock. So I am assuming for the key to work alone it needs to be programmed, or does the lock on the door itself arm and disarm? 

I want to make a copy of the key I have not the fob, hence the confusion. I am guessing I need a transponder key, but according to the web I need some crazy software. The key fob can be programmed manually using that door lock programming thing, but the transponder key i'm not sure about.  

The cheapest path might be to get some bootleg keyfob and key in one thingy, cut the key then program the keyfob manually. That looks like the route i'm going. I gotta find a all in one key that works on my 05. 

20220718_154427.thumb.jpg.c9668bacaa28bf7079ab952abcec728f.jpg

Maybe call Benny at  Subaruonlineparts.com     Ask him.    It used to be easier to link his post from that thread, the post I copied was made on July 29 2021, if you need to find it. I thought in the old forum it was easy to get his phone number