LegacyGT.com

Air conditioning issue

^ that would be my first thing.

I assume your saying that with the AC turned on, and you adjust the temp up, the AC turns off ?

Your, that's not right, have them fix that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

well. the only time you're going to have the heater core completely bypassed is at the lowest temperature. anything higher than the lowest, it starts to open up to the heater core. I think we need more info though, does your car have auto climate and it's determining that at 66 degrees it turns the a/c off?

also, yeah, if this work was done recent, take it back. they need to fix it, for free.

Just saying, you can manually turn on the AC at any temp setting. I run the AC every now and then during the winter just to keep the system lubed and make sure it works.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

^ that would be my first thing.

I assume your saying that with the AC turned on, and you adjust the temp up, the AC turns off ?

Your, that's not right, have them fix that.

yes, correct. A/C is on, manually turn on any other temp than the lowest of 65 degrees then hot air is blown.

well. the only time you're going to have the heater core completely bypassed is at the lowest temperature. anything higher than the lowest, it starts to open up to the heater core. I think we need more info though, does your car have auto climate and it's determining that at 66 degrees it turns the a/c off?

also, yeah, if this work was done recent, take it back. they need to fix it, for free.

interesting info about the heater core being bypassed at lowest temp. my vehicle has auto a/c but I'm talking when I manually turn the knob to the lowest setting (65 degrees), then turn it 1 degree over to 66 hot air blows.

Is it the same kind of hot as though it were at 80 or whatever the highest setting is?

that's likely an issue is the flapper door stepper motor if that's the case.

You should definitely use the A/C in winter as it keeps the windows from fogging up. You may have noticed the ecm has logic to turn the A/C on automatically when on a windshield setting.

Is it the same kind of hot as though it were at 80 or whatever the highest setting is?

that's likely an issue is the flapper door stepper motor if that's the case.

You should definitely use the A/C in winter as it keeps the windows from fogging up. You may have noticed the ecm has logic to turn the A/C on automatically when on a windshield setting.

yes, exactly, same king of hot as the hottest. I'll have them take a look, thanks for the insight.

My car goes to lukewarmish air when I use manual climate control above 65, and yours will too whether it's functioning or not. The car is programmed like this. No, I don't get it either.

If you use automatic climate control, the A/C will come on depending on the ambient temperature till about 75 fahrenheit. I usually leave my climate on auto at 73 on cooler days or 74 on hotter days. A/C definitely blasted all day long at 74 today while it was 86 out. I don't believe our compressors are variable, I.E. they're either on or off, so you can DEFINITELY feel if it's on, unlike a lot of modern cars where there's no clutch to kick the AC off and on and it kinda comes on for however much the car deems reasonable.

And, again, ANY manual temperature settings above 65 will result in the A/C compressor turning off. Leave the A/C at 65 for a prolonged period of time and you may encounter an issue that Max Capacity discovered in his wagon where it will stop working on long drives. I believe a relay replacement is the solution to that? Haven't encountered it on my car.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:18 PM, Pleides said:

My car goes to lukewarmish air when I use manual climate control above 65, and yours will too whether it's functioning or not. The car is programmed like this. No, I don't get it either.

If you use automatic climate control, the A/C will come on depending on the ambient temperature till about 75 fahrenheit. I usually leave my climate on auto at 73 on cooler days or 74 on hotter days. A/C definitely blasted all day long at 74 today while it was 86 out. I don't believe our compressors are variable, I.E. they're either on or off, so you can DEFINITELY feel if it's on, unlike a lot of modern cars where there's no clutch to kick the AC off and on and it kinda comes on for however much the car deems reasonable.

And, again, ANY manual temperature settings above 65 will result in the A/C compressor turning off. Leave the A/C at 65 for a prolonged period of time and you may encounter an issue that Max Capacity discovered in his wagon where it will stop working on long drives. I believe a relay replacement is the solution to that? Haven't encountered it on my car.

Interesting, let me test this a bit tomorrow, thanks for the reply.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, Pleides said:

Leave the A/C at 65 for a prolonged period of time and you may encounter an issue that Max Capacity discovered in his wagon where it will stop working on long drives. I believe a relay replacement is the solution to that? Haven't encountered it on my car.

Yes, the relay in the under hood fuse box fixes that.

I fixed my issue. I knew something was wrong and it was not working as expected by blowing hot air at 66 degrees. From other threads on Google people said that their temp sensor was disconnected when they had a similar issue. I decided to take the CD / AC unit out and check behind it. Sure enough there was the AC sensor cable just dangling there. I plugged it back in and AC now works when manually changing it from 66 into the 70s. Shoddy work by the dealer, they should have a checklist they go through when reinstalling the dashboard.

Pics here ...

https://postimg.cc/gallery/rtJNFJ0

Edited by hateitorloveit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3