LegacyGT.com

Adding aftermarket gauges

So we just spent all the money on the new engine and stuff. Now we need to monitor everything. What is the most reasonable way to do this? Oil pressure, coolant temp and boost are probably the top 3. Maybe trans temp. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest option, just the most reasonable.

It's a stock engine so egt's shouldn't be a concern.

2008 OBXT 5EAT

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yes, BtSsm. Subaru specific app developed by a fellow forum member. He is not very active anymore on the forum, but his site is still up and the app can still be purchased on Google Play store. You will be able to monitor everything the ECU reports. The ones I always keep an eye on are actual AFR and target AFR, short and long term fuel corrections, knock, misfire per cylinder, VVT advance to name just a few.

What is the "patch" referred to, how does one get that parch if needed and when will one know that he needs the patch?

Thanks!

I did email the developer but have not heard anything yet...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Not sure what patch you're referring to, but all you should have to do is pick up a compatible adapter and download the app to an Android device. Unfortunately the only Bluetooth adapter available these days is pretty slow, sampling at something like 2 Hz. It's plenty for general monitoring but is a bit too clunky if you get into trying to diagnose anything transient.

The only other trick is digging out memory addresses for data that isn't automatically available with the barebones BtSSM install. You can find these addresses in Romraider logger definitions for your car. Post up here, those of us using BtSSM can help guide you through most issues.

https://romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1642&sid=f76b869f3a11a0d1e3df920b6e7075b3

• 2 weeks later...

The cobb access port can do all that and a lot of tuners use it, i was a big advocate for open source but after going the access port I wouldn't go back.

I also got a custom 3 pod a pillar from JCSpods, I had to provide an oem a pillar trim piece because subaru doesn't make them anymore they said, plus $125 for work and shipping, and whatever shipping to get the pillar to them. I have a boost and a/f gauge and a gauge which does both oil temp and pressure.

So I have the 3 gauges in the pod on the left side and my cobb which can do up to 6 gauges on the right.

attachment.php?attachmentid=293363&d=1631733307

attachment.php?attachmentid=293368&d=1631814709

Edited by Tehnation

No, the ECU does not report oil pressure because the factory setup only has a low pressure switch. This switch is set at a very low pressure (somewhere below 10 psi), so most consider it useless. You can buy an adapter and install a proper oil pressure sender in place of the OEM switch. However, unless you're willing to disable either the rear O2 sensor or the tumble generator valves in order to use their connectors for signal input, there's no easy way to read that sensor via the ECU. A gauge is the way to go in that instance, I think.