LegacyGT.com

Brake pad residue on rotors

bluesuby

I have been experiencing brake shudder when braking hard, especially at speeds over 60 mph. The rotors were replaced with OEM parts a couple years ago, but I have heard some brake pads will leave a residue on rotors causing this problem. Should I try brake cleaner? A light sanding followed by the cleaner? What has worked for you? I really doubt the rotors are warped since the brakes were never overheated and in Jersey there really aren's many steep hills which require repeated use of the brakes.

I would suggest trying to reseat the brakes. That usually fixes this issue unless rotors are warped (rarely happens) or are glazed over due to excessive heat.

Whenever you replace pads OR rotors, not both, but EITHER you should do a bed-in process. Here’s the process I have used for years:

45-10 using medium pressure 3-4 times

Drive to cool for a little bit

55-10 using medium pressure 3-4 times

Drive to cool for a little bit

65-5 using hard pressure but not locking them up 3-4 times

Drive for 20 minutes to cool them.

If you must come to a stop in that time do so gently, and just hold the car at the stop with the least amount of pedal pressure that you can (or use your hand brake).

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clints-tips-and-tricks-brakes-58401.html?t=58401&highlight=Brakes

Warped rotors are not really a thing with modern cars, as you suggest, it is likely the pads imprinting on the rotors. Can you see marks in the shape of the pads on the rotor face? Re-bedding the pads can help, but unfortunately I have never found a way to repair the rotors short of turning or replacing them, maybe others have?

The typical cause for this is holding hot/overheated pads against the rotor after a long/hard stop. Stock pads have a limited temperature range and enthusiastic driving will find there limits (personally I have never met a stock pad I could not overheat). I have gone to "performance street" pads (with new rotors) and shudder is a thing of the past, but these pads have their own compromises.

Gary

I think I should be doing something before the bedding procedure. Can I attempt a "cleaning" with spray brake cleaner on the rotor or a light sanding followed by a spray cleaning? I'm thinking there must be some crud on the rotor (although not so visible) as suggested by what I have read.

• 2 weeks later...
Two years and how many miles ago? Warping isn’t a problem it’s probably out-gassing of the pad material under heavy breaking and two years isn’t much of an indicator as the miles. Stop and go traffic is rough on pads and rotors you could try cleaning but if your rotors are in spec just replace the pads. I would swing by a service station have them inspect your brake it might be time to replace