LegacyGT.com

Clunking noise after replacing cv axles, trans mount, and front end kit

ldt593

I’m out of ideas. I hope some of you have ideas. I have a 1999 legacy (2.2l wagon 5mt 228k miles) I had rythmic clunking noise during low speed tight turns, so I had the cv axles replaced. The clunking noise came back. The cv axle came with a paper that recommended replacing the transmission mount. I did that. The clunking noise came back. So I replaced tie rods/ends ball joints control arms. The clunking noise came back! Some times it goes away and when I turn into a parking spot it’s quiet. I have been noticing a slight clatter when I let off the throttle and let it ‘hit’ the backlash and I wonder if that is related. I read somewhere if the axles aren’t completely torqued to 161 ft-lbs that could cause it. That seems like it would clung all the time though. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it happen on smooth/flat surfaces? I had a similar problem that turned out to be a front strut that was going out. I tested it my theory out by having someone bounce the car up and down as I put my hand on top of the strut mounts. Bad top hat bearing was my guess, but the whole strut was replaced under warranty.