LegacyGT.com

HELP: Timing Belt Damage

'01 Legacy GT Wagon

I was doing a valve job and took the belt cover off to check the timing and found this. Aisin Belt Kit changed 6/21 (less than one year and 5Kmi ago) at 213K mi

What do I have here? TIA

thumbnail_IMG_5354.thumb.jpg.20875db84c5e68adf709a25f66c54ffe.jpg

Edited by rjnakata

A lil digging and it appears this guide needs to be 1mm above the belt and is only for MT. The wear appears consistent with width of the guide.

Mechanic may have placed it too close...

Indeed, glad to have caught it during random unrelated work!

283860653_5467726359928912_6214067436735443865_n.jpg.df33d9f733ddb6b607dec9ad18aa45ba.jpg

Edited by rjnakata

BTW, where would I get such a guide? My manual has never had one, so it must have been left out on a job before I got it.

I would say Subaru dealer only, but I'm finding more and more parts that they say they don't have and won't get. I keep forgettin' to check the ones I see in the junk yard.

BTW, where would I get such a guide? My manual has never had one, so it must have been left out on a job before I got it.

I see it at Amazon: "Genuine Subaru 13145AA021 Guide- Timing" or at SubaruPartsdeal.com for $4.77 + a lot of shipping.

Not sure if this is applicable for 2nd gen...

RJNakata, thanks. That was easy. I'm pretty confident that it will fit. If it fits ej25 and ej22 in gen III it should fit ej25 and ej22 in gen II. Only thing that changed about timing through that period is the number of sensor teeth on the timing sprocket.

RJNakata, thanks. That was easy. I'm pretty confident that it will fit. If it fits ej25 and ej22 in gen III it should fit ej25 and ej22 in gen II. Only thing that changed about timing through that period is the number of sensor teeth on the timing sprocket.

Ok, just be sure to space that thing better than my mechanic did!

I have it on the way, but I've driven about 150,000 race like miles without one, so I'll just put it on a shelf until I do the next timing refresh. I sure will do my best to position it and loktite it in place. At least getting one end timing cover off to check is easy.

the reason manuals have them is due to the fact rpm changes can happen very rapidly with a gear change and has potential to make the belt jump. enough so that subaru felt the need to put a guide on them.

I'm guessing the mechanic isn't used to working on subaru engines. It might look non-adjustable, but there is a small amount of play when you have the bracket installed, and the bolts loose. That's what we mean by adjustable, the bracket is able to very slightly move up and down

https://www.gatestechzone.com/en/news/2016-06-subaru-spacer-tool