LegacyGT.com

1997 lsi wagon annoying rear grinding noise

Hello,

Ever since working or rear brakes with new pads, e brake shoes, rotors, a grinding noise corresponding with speed of car will not go away even after close inspection. Rear bearings have been redone, u joints replaced. Cannot find any rubbing or scratch marks with the rotor against backing plate although it definitely sounds like that’s what’s rubbing. Thinking of finding 2 own junkyard rotors, having them turned and see if the noise goes away. Suggestions ? Thanks!

I've had parts store brake parts that don't fit out of the box. A rotor 35 thousandths too thick. Rear shoes that have backings that rub, or maybe the drums weren't machined deep enough. Pads where the backing won't slot onto the calliper. That's all Napa parts because I find the other chains' parts to be much worse.

We're just racing to the bottom.

Agreed, going to Picknpull and will try to find 2 oem rear rotors. Mistakenly I tossed my oem’s and bought Chinese. Will also rebuild calipers which I’ve been procrastinating to do on account of not wanting to bleed the the brakes. Really doubt it’s that on account of the sound not changing when applying brakes, hard or soft. I’m aware of the rust/backing plate issue but can’t find any evidence of rubbing although the geometry must change when the wheels are on the ground. Really hoping it’s not rear diff or axles, car has plenty of power and gets 22 mpg driven hard 75-80 mph on the freeway. Rear rotors much warmer than front so it has to be rubbing, thanks for reply

FWIW, I'm suspicious of one of my rear wheel bearings that have only about 50k on them. They were all marked Timkin, but there is still the small chance that they were Chimkin.

I'll be checking such any time now as I'm taking mine offline to do the diff bushings and rear cradle bushings. The only ones I didn't think of when I did the big 250k refresh.