LegacyGT.com

KZR OBXT Rebuild

Heuberger fumbeled. The 6 bolts they had in stock didn't end up in my shipment. I received the one they ordered. In a sammich bag.

The other 6 are in the mail but probably not going to make it here by Saturday. SO I will not see this till Next Tuesday.

So new plans are hatching to spend time on other projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Did just that.

Put some new wheels and tires on the ZRX.

Took it out to scrub the tires in. Was not planning to go this far but after a while just kept going.

Battery on the phone was only 30% when I left. Died on my way back, hence the sudden stop.

Will do this ride again in the near future but head over to 88 back to the valley next time.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v7O9BRwBgL6

Making progress.

Found the bolts I lost. Installed the new on the oil pump.

Starting to lurch forward again.

Until...

Can't find the orings now for the water crossover. Well just order new.

Cleaned up the garage and organized some parts.

A couple of the bolts to tac down the intake to the block are rusted pretty bad.

Just going to order from subaru local.

Will get ahold of the tuner for a base map soon.

Need to txt JWP about the oil feed to the turbo make sure the passage size on this banjo bolt is acceptable.

Usually order thru Heuberger if it's a big order. One or two small items just go to Modesto.

Called and had them order the bolts, no need to install rust back in a new build.

Orings are there already, if I don't find the units I know are in the shop somewhere.

Will get back to it later this week.

Just saying, have you talked to the guys at your local dealers parts counter and see what they can do for pricing for you. My local guys take good care of me. My ej257 and gasket set came from them for the great price. I have spent a lot with them, and they even helped get a good price on the new car. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't have a local. Closes where I bought the car, I'm no fan of them, parts guy changed and is a moron. Started going to another dealer farther away to avoid this operation.

At least when I call the other they get the parts ordered and I can trust they show up.

Well keep needling them to give me a break. I want some larger items that will need to be dealer ordered. Negotiations start this week picking up some new HW.

Found the Orings I was missing. Guess where... The last box I have with OEM parts in it. 

Really need to consolidate the stash after this round. :spin:

Edited by kzr750r1

Well since finding my orings made some progress last night.

Am I right on the water jacket crossover torque spec?

4.7 ft lb or 56 in lb? Can't find this spec in the manual.

Don't want to strip again. Already have three with heli coils installed.

Need to redo the Timing belt. Looks to me I skipped a tooth. :(

Always fun doing things twice.

Ultra black installed to stick the rubber back to the center cover.

After rotating it a few times all the pully's were retarded a little at TDC.

Pulled it back apart and it was much better after the second pass.

Spent the weekend prepping the rest and were ready for install.

Need to order a couple more hoses and a gasket for the turbo to TMIC.

Will need to order  a new TMIC at some point. This bullet proofed unit isn't going to last forever. The plastic on the hot side is dark grey as opposed to black on the cold side... Suckers seen some heat!

Feels good having all OEM hoses tie wrapped, #4 cooling mod and nothing else to trip on for this.

Get my pre lube container prepped and stuff this sucker back in the car this week.

Daughter unit is getting her driving test Wendsday, she will be 18. I'm old.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Need to stay out of the hospital to get the girl over to DMV in her brothers car.

Should not be too bad.

Pulled it solo this time. Last time FJuan came over to asset.

Going in solo should be no problem. There is a scissor jack under the transmission. Should not take much to lift it up enough to clear the motor mounts and get the studs lined up.

Pivot mount on the engine hoist will help get the right angle to the dangle.

I have a leveling attachment on the hoist. Still a PITA getting the angle to the dangle right. chain points at a cross like this kind of make the rigging tough. Had to reattach to the stand once and adjust.

Took my time. Raised up the front of the 5eat with a scissor jack to raise up the front of the trans to the top of the fire wall opening.

Slowly worked it in and planted the studs. Then more wiggle/lift/wiggle/lower and it's in.

Started to get dark so Just dropped in a couple of the top bolts and put the nuts and washers on the motor mounts.

Will get back to it later. Today is the girls day, first day being 18. 

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well stripped the mid pipe hanger nut last night. No need to replace just now but on order.

Had a good txt conversation with JmP6889928 last night to confirm oil feed orifice size.

Changed my mind on using the BNR .090" orifice BB that BNR sent with the 16G.

Also going to ditch the Infamous V2 filtered oil line.

We will be going back to the stock hard line feed with both banjo bolt filters removed.

Going back to stock but of course could not find the old one. In addition could not find the stock banjo bolt for the right head ovcs. So now both of these are on order.

Hoping to see them early next week.

In the mean time have finished all the under car tasks. Other than modifying the primitive cover plate mounts to accommodate the the Killer B oil pan.

So in the mean time will keep the install rolling with the peripherals in the engine bay.

One note is the #4 coolant line mod is going to be interesting keeping it away from the steering assembly.

As mentioned in the instructions, it's an issue that needs addressing sooner than later. Hoping a couple of tie wraps will solve it. 

Edit: Forgot to mention. Had to pull the motor back up off the cross member. Forgot to put the lower cover plate back on before installing the engine. Was not so bad. Installed as an assembly so only two 6M bolts to place and snug with a 10mm spanner. Made 100% sure the mounts were equidistant on the slots on the cross member. Seems last time I had not done this and can see the witness mark where I had it where the left mount stud was pinned to the inner side of the slot.

Edited by kzr750r1

3 minutes ago, kzr750r1 said:

One note is the #4 coolant line mod is going to be interesting keeping it away from the steering assembly.

As mentioned in the instructions, it's an issue that needs addressing sooner than later. Hoping a couple of tie wraps will solve it. 

Huh. I don't remember facing this problem. Which kit did you get?

Right from the source. Getadom kit. It's not the head hose that is too close, it's the hose off the T heading to the firewall that is the issue. I may need to cut some more of the stock hose back. We'll fiddle with this part more tonight.

Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel it reminds me of the other items I need to take care of.

1) HVAC stepper motor replacement.

2) Need two wheels as I bent two jumping a curb/island at the beginning of the year. Not a huge need but a good excuse for new rims and tires when I burn up this rubber set.

Ok. Figured out what to do with the getadom #4 mod. I'll rotate the T vertical instead of horizontal.

Tried cutting the hose down more and didn't even have finger clearance to the steering damper. 

Keep in mind I do have the Perrin steering dampener lockdown kit installed. May add to the bulk and clearance issue.

Should be fine and still do the job. Plus it's far away from the steering assembly.

Always fun to mod a mod. LOL