LegacyGT.com

AC only working when it’s cool out

I have a ‘01 2.5 Legacy L and the AC only works when it’s cool outside, I really want to remedy this because it makes driving my son around awful. I’m very new to working on Subaru’s so I have no idea where to start, the fans still work and everything. Any common issues I can look for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a car that old, I would start by verifying that the refrigerant level is good. It's probably leaked out the condenser or sweat/leaked out the lines by now.

Wait does this car use Freon in the AC?

Are you seeing/hearing the ac compressor cycle on and off? A fast cycling usually indicates low freon. You can grab a cheap set of gauges from Harbor Frieght or your choice of auto supply joints along with the can of stop leak/refridgerant and check what the system is doing. Many a youtubers have explained it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

R-134A like everything else, yes.

Not really true any more... we have 1234yf in the late model subarus now.

Oh thank you so much! I’ll go grab a can tonight, I really appreciate it

Please don't. It won't fix your problem. Take it to a professional.

Oh thank you so much! I’ll go grab a can tonight, I really appreciate it

Take it to a shop to have it evacuated professionally. AC in a can is alright on an old shitbox if you don't care about it leaking out the old stuff, but it's not really good for the environment and you should have it done by a pro anyways with their fancy machines.

I'm pretty sure a 20 year old Subaru doesn't use "1234af" refrigerant either, BUT some one up above said that 134 was the only one and that was incorrect. Much like 134 to 12 was better for the environment, 1234yf is better for the environment than 134.

I in no way meant to imply that you should charge a 134 system with 1234yf just because it's available. What I did say is that if your A/C isn't working, you need to take it to a professional. the A/C in a can does not work, it's amazing they can even get away with selling it.

By all means I agree with AC being wrenched on by someone with knowhow and the correct equipment (recovery, vacuum, charge).

That said....last year I sold my beloved Cummins DODGE from MY2002. The ac was low and barely blew cold when I purchased the truck 11 years prior @ 170k. I did the redneck recharge every spring the first few years and it worked all summer. About 5 years in I no longer had to do the charge and it worked great when I sold it(for much more than I paid for it @ 225k). Stop leak works in some situations, that I do know.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Funny thing is, R1234yf hoses will NOT fit onto R134a systems and vice versa. Humorously enough though, if you try hard enough, R134a can be safely put into R1234yf systems with no lasting effects (from what I have read).