LegacyGT.com

Ignition tumbler change with 6-speed swap?

Hello all,

I am in the process of swapping my project wagon from an auto to a spec-B six speed. I have a donor car with all the parts I need. My current wondering is if I can keep the current ignition switch that's in the car so I don't have to use two different sets of keys for the doors and for starting the car. I know I'll have to get the keys reprogrammed to the new manual transmission immobilizer/ECU, but is there something in the ignition switch/cylinder itself that would be a problem with this plan? Alternatively would I be able to have someone rekey the tumbler in the specB cylinder to accept the current keys for the wagon? Your expert help would be greatly appreciated!380bbffa5f6aac12e207f0c64852d1be.jpgd4e12224bb80d902d488b7530fcd9520.jpgfbbfcf90d0f55ac5d296c01d55c7e352.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As far as I know there is no issue with the lock cylinder, its the chip in the key that needs to match the ECU and BIU. If you can get you original key programed to the 6-speed ECU/BIU they I think you are good to go. I think the gauge cluster is also matched to the ECU/BIU so you will need to swap or reprogram that as well.

Gary

That sounds promising! I do also have the SpecB cluster that will be swapped. My hope is to make an official auto to manual swap "guide". As searching I could not find one, and I'm sure as we get into the later age of this gen, it'll become much harder to just "sell your Auto and buy a manual" as most people suggest. Especially if your Auto is basically fully built and rust free.

Definitely just swapping. That way everything should match right up from the cluster to the steering wheel controls to the clutch switch, ect. And I won't have any extra wiring laying around unneeded. [emoji1696] For no CELs!