LegacyGT.com

MAJOR TUNING NEWS - 4/18 Cobb tuning changes bring serious challenges to tuning

Pleides

https://www.cobbtuning.com/green-speed-update-april-2022/

Quoting Cobb:

"As a market leader in the custom tuning market, we have taken the position that we must help our customers address the regulatory challenges present in today’s marketplace. To us, this means helping ensure that tunes or calibrations developed using our Accesstuner software address the new/evolving emissions requirements present in the market and could be CARB EO certified. To do this we have made changes to our software that eliminate the chance of creating a file that could be viewed by an emissions regulator as a bypass, defeat, or emissions delete tune/calibration. "

"These features include, but are not limited to:

• Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC);

• Oxygen (O2) Sensors;

• Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) Sensors;

• Three-way Catalysts (TWC);

• Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems;

• Stratified Warmup;

• Tumble Generator Valves (TGV);

• Secondary Air Injection;

• Evaporative System;

• Features / tables, associated with certain OEM OBD Test Min/Max Limits;

• Features / tables, associated with certain OEM OBD Test Monitory Entry Thresholds."

If you have a good tune on your Subaru and it is on an Accessport, contact your tuner before making any big hardware changes to your car. You may never be able to pass emissions again if you're Cobb-tuned and want to change things up. Really kicking myself for not getting my 1050X installed sooner...

As far as I know, our Legacy GTs from 2009 and earlier should be OK to tune open-source. Most of the stuff had been pretty fleshed out in ROMRaider. However, newer WRXs and STIs as well as basically every other manufacturer that can be paired to an Accessport do not necessarily have these options in the OS community.

Edited by Pleides

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sure wrote that update as if they were really excited to seemingly gut a lot of the options that people regularly use in the software. Maybe I'm just missing something...

I think it's PR-speak for "I am typing this through gritted teeth."

how soon before a hack for cobb comes out?

Gonna be pretty tricky. The Accesstuner software requires an internet connection and a log in. We'll see how it goes. I think the world will go open-source until that gets shut down again.

For me the only thing I right now would like to tune is the sensitivity of the gas pedal - it's too sensitive so it's tricky to modulate at the low end so it's always some pumping of the pedal to keep a constant speed. But it's not critical and the cruise control works for most cases.

So now everyone that's in for a better tune would need a Megasquirt system ( https://megasquirt.info/ ) instead. Now the challenge would be to make it look like an OEM ECU for anyone trying to read it at an inspection.

453747.png

Gonna be pretty tricky. The Accesstuner software requires an internet connection and a log in. We'll see how it goes. I think the world will go open-source until that gets shut down again.

When did open source get shut down, and how?

I hate to ask in this thread, but how would one go about looking into going open source? I have an accessport and Stage 2 right now.

Buy a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 adapter, download RomRaider or ECUFlash, and rebuild your entire map in it. If you wanted the fancier features like launch control, flex fuel/map switching, etc, I have a patched Merpmod ROM for your car that I can send.

RomRaider forums have a wealth of knowledge.

When did open source get shut down, and how?

Oh my bad on the wording. Just meant when that gets shut down by some means of EPA scare tactics, it'll be this all over again.

On a side note, does anybody have any topfeed TGVs lying around...?

Well I just ordered some topfeed TGVs. If I don't end up needing them, somebody will and I'll, at the very least, lose no money on them. TGVs are gonna be worth their weight in gold here shortly.

Hey you will be fine, It not big deal. I just made an appointment to get my EWG uppipe setup done on my car, and having my turbo revamped to be turned into a 16g type. He also asked me if I was calling about the COBB stuff, I was like Hell NO :lol: and we both laughed. He was like thank god cause everyone has been calling scared for some reason. Go do what you want to your car. I can't wait to have that External gate of hell sound and modified VF52 all done and protuned revised. :lol::spin:.

Hey you will be fine, It not big deal. I just made an appointment to get my EWG uppipe setup done on my car, and having my turbo revamped to be turned into a 16g type. He also asked me if I was calling about the COBB stuff, I was like Hell NO :lol: and we both laughed. He was like thank god cause everyone has been calling scared for some reason. Go do what you want to your car. I can't wait to have that External gate of hell sound and modified VF52 all done and protuned revised. :lol::spin:.

I have no choice but to be worried as I live in an area that does OBD tests for emissions passing. I'd instantly fail with a CEL. I called my tuner and they said they weren't really sure I'd need to buy TGVs, but I'm not taking chances on them being unobtainium in two weeks. They said they were bombarded with emails. I got scheduled in for Tuesday cuz they said they were pretty sure they had some ten day window or something like that, but who knows.

• I Donated Too
Earlier APs came with all the OTS maps ready to go. I have them backed up from the AP for my 05 AT GT Wagon - but my MT was pro tuned and the tuner cleared all the OTS maps before I made a copy. I am poking around trying to gather what maps I can get right now - what I am looking for is the Stage2 Maps for the 2012 WRX - I bought the AP in January for that car and the Stage 2 maps are not included...

My AP I bought two years ago came with all the OTS maps I wanted too, but none of them are useful to me with the mods on my car.

I think there's a setting either in the Accessport Manager Windows software or on the device itself to restore all OTS maps. Make sure to back your favorite tune up to Windows before doing that and you're good.

I have no choice but to be worried as I live in an area that does OBD tests for emissions passing. I'd instantly fail with a CEL. I called my tuner and they said they weren't really sure I'd need to buy TGVs, but I'm not taking chances on them being unobtainium in two weeks. They said they were bombarded with emails. I got scheduled in for Tuesday cuz they said they were pretty sure they had some ten day window or something like that, but who knows.

Yeah we do not do emissions where I live so I get your worry. Can you got get inspection in a different county that does only safety? that what I have been doing for years lol until I moved to a place that only does safety inspections. There will be a way around all this. Just give it time.

Earlier APs came with all the OTS maps ready to go. I have them backed up from the AP for my 05 AT GT Wagon - but my MT was pro tuned and the tuner cleared all the OTS maps before I made a copy. I am poking around trying to gather what maps I can get right now - what I am looking for is the Stage2 Maps for the 2012 WRX - I bought the AP in January for that car and the Stage 2 maps are not included...

They still show available for free on Cobb's website... What is the panic about?