LegacyGT.com

DIY: replacing starter brushes

Where did you find brushes? I tried and failed and at the time couldn’t afford a starter (LOT of money locked in between buying a house while selling a house) so I modified the brushes to get more like out of them. That lasted about three years

Where did you find brushes? I tried and failed and at the time couldn’t afford a starter (LOT of money locked in between buying a house while selling a house) so I modified the brushes to get more like out of them. That lasted about three years

Damn a starter does not cost that much :eek:.

• 1 month later...

I need to update the OP!!

To quickly answers the questions above: brushes cost 20$ on ebay shipped!! Took like 1-1.5hr from removal of starter to reinstall, not rushing it. It's pretty quick really and not hard at all. Maybe it'll take more time if it is your first time touching it.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

The starter simply stopped working because the brushes were completely worn out. When worn out, they make a poor contact with the brushed motor. The latter then just does not spin. I had to hit the starter with a bar at the right place to get it to work until this no longer worked.

Pay attention to the first picture of my 2nd post. I compare the old brushes with the new ones. See how short the original brushes are compared to the new ones!

• 6 months later...

https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/subaru.html

Funny, today I found this link I had in my "bookmarks" and have added it to a couple of post. This has pieces or the starter and ALT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here