LegacyGT.com

Help: Will not crank

Hi folks,

I have a 2006 Legacy GT Wagon (5sp) that will not crank. I swapped the battery with a new one and I still get nothing. The voltage at the battery is good and all the car turns on ok but it doesn't crank at all. Was running fine until this happened, this morning. Any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks!

I JUST suffered from this issue yesterday and two weeks ago (on a different car). In my case, it is the starter: more specifically brushes are worn out. Try hitting the end of the starter with a long bar and see if it starts.

Btw, when the issue first appeared, on the 06, I went ahead and purchased a set of brushes on ebay for 20$ shipped. Changed them and the starter has been working fine since (3 weeks now). Will perform the same fix on the 05 this week once I receive my next set of brushes.

Now, I am not saying that is your issue yet. But it really sounds like it is.

You have a test light or a voltmeter?

Check for 12v at the big red wire. should be hot all the time

assuming it is, have someone get in and try to crank the car (clutch in, key turned to start) and check for 12v at the small terminal wire.

If you have 12v there with the key in crank and clutch in, replace the starter.

If you dont have 12V at the sense wire ... check the clutch switch and the starter relay

Other things to check if previous suggestions don't work: starter contactor/relay fuse in cabin, battery cables securely attached to battery terminals and connection is clean, and body to engine grounds are in good condition.

Your neutral safety switch could also be bad. The car might not detect that you're pressing the clutch pedal.

Right. He will confirm this when he'll check for a signal at the 'small wire' connected to the back of the starter: if the switch is good, and the relay is working, then he should see a +12V signal at that wire when he turned the key to crank the engine.