LegacyGT.com

Ticking noise above 25

Hey all, I have a chick chick chick chick noise while driving, only noticable with the window down, but it is prominent. The sound started after a brake job, so I started Investigating and found a small chip in the pad. Did I find the culprit? Everything else seems fine CV, wheel bearing etc. 4563e2fdaa4ad467029d39bb02f0e8d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I doubt that is the culprit but you could probably get a new set of pads under warranty if you are nice to the parts guys.

Dust shield? Rock in a tire?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I doubt that is the culprit but you could probably get a new set of pads under warranty if you are nice to the parts guys.

Dust shield? Rock in a tire?

So I just pulled in the dust cover a bit and checked the tire for debris/foreign object, there was none. Still the tick tick tick, maybe a warped rotor? But I don't notice any shaking during braking.

Update:Changing the wheel bearing Thursday. I'm confident that's the issue.

Edited by Spec-Beast

Pad clip hitting rotor? Maybe that'd make more of a squeal, but doesn't hurt to check.

Found this random pic on google to visualize what I mean

I restest the clips, greased them, and the appropriate spots on the caliper and pads. I am convinced it's a wheel bearing, so I'll do that this coming Thursday. Updates to come.

OEM is great but quite spendy I believe.

No worries! I'm finding OEM from 150-200. That's totally worth it, considering I'm coming from a 7.3 power stroke Excursion where I paid 2300 for an oil cooler and steering box [emoji1787]

I'm on timken for all 4 corners.

Maybe a stupid question, do you have something stuck in your tire tread?

I double checked all tires multiple times , nothing at all. The sound stops under braking but after 3 attempts of taking them apart the problem still exists. After searching the web for a bit I've found other people that say the noise will go away after 1000 miles or so. This being cause by the cross drilled rotors, seems to happen with the brembo rotors more frequently.

f7bb2d155a891583e175acc52a295eec.jpg

No Brembos here but I do have drilled and slotted rotors. They make noise and have a feeling for sure.

I think you need to make sure you have a bad wheel bearing. Not that they don't go bad but your description doesn't match in terms of failure.

Now that I see your brakes.....could totally be those and just something you have to get used to. How old are they? Is the car new-er to you? As in have you had this car with different brakes that didn't make the noise?

A 25 mph click isn't a wheel bearing. It's a half shaft or brakes. Wheel bearing hum and get louder with speed and load in my experience.

Ride bicycles at all? Anything with disc brakes? Similar noise when applying brakes on thr bike?

No Brembos here but I do have drilled and slotted rotors. They make noise and have a feeling for sure.

I think you need to make sure you have a bad wheel bearing. Not that they don't go bad but your description doesn't match in terms of failure.

Now that I see your brakes.....could totally be those and just something you have to get used to. How old are they? Is the car new-er to you? As in have you had this car with different brakes that didn't make the noise?

A 25 mph click isn't a wheel bearing. It's a half shaft or brakes. Wheel bearing hum and get louder with speed and load in my experience.

Ride bicycles at all? Anything with disc brakes? Similar noise when applying brakes on thr bike?

You're correct on the wheel bearing. The car is new to me as our the brakes. It just didn't sound normal to me The sound reflects heavily off highway barriers, a sound I've never heard before even after running brembos on 5 previous cars.

Just trying to save you unnecessary and somewhat costly work if it isn't needed. Good luck with it.

Maybe have someone else take the wheel and get in the back seat. Heck I have hung out a window and ridden in a trunk trying to chase a noise lol.

Just trying to save you unnecessary and somewhat costly work if it isn't needed. Good luck with it.

Maybe have someone else take the wheel and get in the back seat. Heck I have hung out a window and ridden in a trunk trying to chase a noise lol.

I'm going to resurface the rotor (just in case). If that fails to do anything, then you'll see me going down the road with my head out the window like my dog. If that doesn't work, then she's going to the Subie doctor and let the real professionals handle it. Instead of a chef by day and a tire kicker by night.

Now it seems I have a coolant leak somewhere, the over flow tank has receded from full to just above the min line. It did recently have a thermostat put in and I'm wondering if it's still burping? I do have a slight slight coolant smell after running kinda hard. Looks like I have another problem to tackle after the brakes.