LegacyGT.com

01 GT - Cold start up = gassy cabin

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Put your VIN in and it will tell you all the recalls that apply to your car and whether they were already done in your case.

Thanks, shows no unrepaired recalls.

I once saw Subaru was only recalling "cold climate" cars. Mine is originally WA and now CA, both of which can have (extremely in the mountains) cold start days.

I searched the forum and one said cracked breather tube, but that just doesn't sound right.

Edited by rjnakata

"Fresh" cabin air comes in through the vent at wiper tray, bottom of the windshield correct? Some fumes under the hood could easily be drawn in.

What did the recall associated with this entail? Anyone know? Tightening fuel clamps?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My 2001 gets 'fuelly' in the car in near and sub freezing temps. Mine is the forward right fuel line, it ends up moist.

I called for replacements recently and unfortunately the little rubber hoses appear to be NLA from Subaru.

• 2 weeks later...
My 2001 gets 'fuelly' in the car in near and sub freezing temps. Mine is the forward right fuel line, it ends up moist.

FOLLOW UP:

After reading 40+ pages of the WRX related link above, it appears Subaru recalled 2002-03 WRX's in "cold weather climates" in 2009. The recall recognized the gassy cabin smell issue. They issued a fix kit including replacement metal fuel lines that go under the intake manifold and new hoses. Dealers were required to remove the Intake manifold to replace the lines. Here is the fix kit Apparently it is not fuel rail related.

The lines leaked with cold temp start up. At this late date it appears a recall/extended warrantee fix from Subaru is not possible. My VIN showed no recalls despite definitely having the problem. If you want to pursue, the WRX recall is WVK-21. A Legacy recall might be WXZ-83.

Using matching diameter Gates fuel tubing from O'Reilly, I changed all the more accessible fuel lines on the driver's side (and filter) with no smell improvement. All lines appeared fine after 20+ years. BTW the 3" line has 1/4" between the metal lines and is a bear to replace. Don't do it if you don't have to.

Two 3" lines are on the passenger side and both are difficult to access. Two clamps are oriented with screw head toward the manifold. Manifold removal is required to replace or tighten clamps properly. I used small vice-grips to turn the screws from the thread side (smashing the threads of course).

Halleluiah! This cured the 20+ year long gassy cabin smell problem. I'm hoping this is permanent. Of course YMMV. I'll definitely be changing the lines if the manifold ever comes off.

Replaced Driver's side lines:

721757014_Driversside1png.thumb.png.5943b2651d633c07d51727196a62f5f2.png

Driver's side 3 incher:

710328847_Driversside2.thumb.png.1ac2c1dabe78fb4f8faca129ca346f90.png

Passenger side hose 1:

812851966_Passengerside1.thumb.png.0c6635fc2e5d496272e640dbea5dd3c3.png

Passenger side hose 1:

1794073597_Passengerside2.thumb.png.99ff78a146213eeefebd273b6da1f522.png

Passenger side hose 2:

1948391425_Passengerside3.thumb.png.30659c7bd70d645f44133b1d2412f377.png

Edited by rjnakata