LegacyGT.com

01 Legacy GTB Sensitive Gas Pedal

A bit of a noob when it comes to cars, I have an 01 Legacy GTB TT BH5. I feel like my gas pedal is very sensitive as i would barely be pressing the pedal and the rpms will shoot up pretty high, making it really easy to burn the clutch. I was wondering if this was normal and if there was a way i could make it 'less sensitive'. If you have any questions feel free to ask away, thank you.

stock engine nothing major done to it just some new parts to replace the old ones etc.

Edited by pesoszn

Is this just when you are coming from a full stop or any time you push the pedal?

I'm going pretty far out on a limb here, but my first thought is that this is your first manual trans and maybe you learned to drive on an electric car with auto trans like a Prius or a drive by wire throttle car. If that guess isn't stupidly wrong, then that would set you up for having a very hard time learning the timing to work a manual. Electric cars and very recent drive by wire cars build in some babysitter junk to the throttle that might train you to push too much on a real car.

That would be a lot easier to figure out in person.

There is a non-zero tiny chance that you have a non-standard throttle body linkage with a different ratio, but there would be no rason for someone to go to all that work on a street driven car. In fact the only time I've seen such a non-standard linkage in real life it was to make a front wheel lifting car easier to drive on the street by reducing throttle sensitivity.

Is this just when you are coming from a full stop or any time you push the pedal?

I'm going pretty far out on a limb here, but my first thought is that this is your first manual trans and maybe you learned to drive on an electric car with auto trans like a Prius or a drive by wire throttle car. If that guess isn't stupidly wrong, then that would set you up for having a very hard time learning the timing to work a manual. Electric cars and very recent drive by wire cars build in some babysitter junk to the throttle that might train you to push too much on a real car.

That would be a lot easier to figure out in person.

There is a non-zero tiny chance that you have a non-standard throttle body linkage with a different ratio, but there would be no rason for someone to go to all that work on a street driven car. In fact the only time I've seen such a non-standard linkage in real life it was to make a front wheel lifting car easier to drive on the street by reducing throttle sensitivity.

Thanks for the reply. Nah I've driven a fair share of manuals, in fact, i learnt to drive on a manual. I've been driving the Legacy for a while but i was just wondering if adjusting it was a thing. I used to drive another manual car before and the pedal was more comfortable to use and easier on the clutch. It's a lot easier in slow-moving traffic when small adjustments are needed, whereas the legacy really just wants to go :lol:. Yea that's fine, was just wondering if there was a way to adjust it, if not it's all good.

Make big guess, get big mistakes. ;)

If you are a machinist or good friends with one you could make a pully for the throttle that isn't round so that the first part of the pedal movement causes less throttle rotation and as you get farther in it speeds up. Just a bigger pully would work, but you might run out of pedal before full rotation.