LegacyGT.com

STI no more!

GR Corolla looking good as an STI alternative.

Absolutely. Probably the best Toyota sports car ever made. So far proving to be reliable powerful and fun. Reviews seem to match my expectations however; an STI is a more fun and confidence inspiring car due to the nature of its symmetrical drivetrain.

having had both the EZ30R and the EZ36R, the EZ36R with a manual would definitely have been better than the 2.5GT stock for stock. the EZ30 in stock power output form was not torquey enough for the cars they put them in. the EZ30R/manual combo would be a phenomenal powertrain for something like a high trim BRZ.

couldn't agree more. I love my Outback 3.6R. 3900lbs. 8.8" ground clearance. 26MPG! Handling far exceeded my expectations. Definitely can feel how much heavier the EZ engines are over EJ's. EZ swapped GC/GF with JDM STI 5 speed make for a >3000lb car that's very capable.

EZ30 spec B RHD Legacy wagons with 6MT were $2000 in Japan auctions 2 years ago :spin: I wanted to import one and supercharge it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Talking about turbo EZ30R, if you have not seen it, here is a good looking and powerful turbo EZ30R from one of our fellow forum members. One of a kind Spec B!

-->https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6060766&postcount=387

And then you have this supercharged one: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rotrex-power-3-0r-68613.html

453747.png

"If you look objectively at the H6 series the engines never produced much power for their size and fuel consumption."

Not true the JDM EZ30R that the USA probably never experienced way back in 2005 with only half of the variable cams was 250Hp.

I own one, its epic and easily exceeds the WRX 2L turbo engine over here which was 168kW vs the 3L 184kW.

A modernised version with full variable cams and a turbo would punch out 400-450Hp without Subaru needing to do a whole lot of work. People have done a hack job of putting a Turbo on these and got over 400Hp.

The 6 cylinder can be perfectly balanced, the 4 cylinder cannot. It has a free reving engine to 7000rpm where as the FA24 is like 6000rpm.

I just don't understand what went wrong at Subaru besides the fact that the new gen WRX and STi should have hit the market 3 or 4 years ago.

I can only think that Subaru hit technical problems with the STi, the Japanese are super conservative. The FA24 was not the ideal engine for the STi.

What you don't get in the USA is the Mercedes AMG A45S smatic+ or the Audi RS3. These two make the STi look total rubbish. Sure they cost like 50% more but you get 50% more car for the money.

There are more hot hatches entering the market and the sedan only option was another fail from Subaru, nobody wants one of these anymore.

That's a whole lot of ifs your trying to use to justify the existence of a gas guzzling H6, which never punched at its weight class in the US never mind above. The ez36 which has dual avcs still couldn't match even the ej255 for performance, its a great engine for what it was, but it wasn't efficient nor powerful, and no way it would last with a turbo on it especially without a powertrain worthy of backing it up.

Edited by FLlegacy

No Subaru just dropped the ball about 10 years ago now, the STi has gone nowhere, perhaps it didn't need to as it had no competition.

Subaru just gave up.

Much like when James Dean died, many said that we lost the two best actors of the generation.

So I think that when Mitsubishi killed off the Evo, that left Subaru with no real reason to continue the STi. And you could see in the last few generations of the STi. The car was getting soft, and it should have stayed a fighter.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

I am not sure why people are even giving a crap about the STI being killed off. As if people can afford to actually buy these crazy high cars these days. Well let me rephrase that, make payments on these overpriced cars. There are very few people that buy these car and keep them for a long period of time. :spin:

What I always see and it never changes is that people go get these new STI's or WRX and then throw a tune and few parts and end up selling them after a year and a half or so. I see the same excuse each time, I'm going back to school, Me and my girl are buying a house, having a baby, need a truck for work, need more room, Blah blah :spin:.

I am one that keeps my cars, and and my family till they have 200K miles on them. I have no plans to get rid of both legacies, or my Daily ford. I like not making payments. :) The older cars seem to have this raw feeling to them. New cars look the same and have no real character.

Same thing with people saying the GR Corolla is the STI killer, yeah right! all that hype just as the Focus RS was, now you hear nothing about it.

I have decided to keep my 2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0R even if I buy a new car. The 6 speed manual is now officially dead and it cannot be replaced anymore and it dollar terms its not worth selling. Such a great car and Subaru have gone backwards since 2005 its really sad to see.

Its been quite funny over here, every man and his dog is trying to sell his STi now for twice the price of a new one. A second hand limited edition SAIGO 2022 STi was listed for NZ$140K which is more than a NEW AMG A45S with the full Aero package which is a total joke.

Subaru over here has just moved to selling SUV's as they now account for the majority of new car sales. The STi is gone forever I recon, the future is electric SUV's, nobody is interested in a sedan anymore anyway.

The biggest mistake Subaru made was dropping the hatchback, the hot hatch is still a viable market.

By the time Subaru come out with any form of STi replacement the market will have moved on to other car brands, there is no coming back from their decision to drop the STi.

Edited by Tronic
additional text

I have decided to keep my 2004 Subaru Legacy 3.0R even if I buy a new car. The 6 speed manual is now officially dead and it cannot be replaced anymore and it dollar terms its not worth selling. Such a great car and Subaru have gone backwards since 2005 its really sad to see.

Its been quite funny over here, every man and his dog is trying to sell his STi now for twice the price of a new one. A second hand limited edition SAIGO 2022 STi was listed for NZ$140K which is more than a NEW AMG A45S with the full Aero package which is a total joke.

Subaru over here has just moved to selling SUV's as they now account for the majority of new car sales. The STi is gone forever I recon, the future is electric SUV's, nobody is interested in a sedan anymore anyway.

The biggest mistake Subaru made was dropping the hatchback, the hot hatch is still a viable market.

By the time Subaru come out with any form of STi replacement the market will have moved on to other car brands, there is no coming back from their decision to drop the STi.

This is true, people think there STI is worth gold even more if it has a new built motor. I have had an 04 STI and I loved that car, but you have to move on to better things in life, like a GTR, or better. I could care less about a hot hatch, or these little cars, I am moving up to the higher performance world in cars, but will still keep my Subies.

I can agree with Tronic, I love my wagon, and loved my 1992 Civic Si, the car in my avatar. There is a big plus to having that room in the back.

I don't have the income level to afford some high priced car.

After all, what is an SUV, it's just a wagon raised up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am not sure why people are even giving a crap about the STI being killed off. As if people can afford to actually buy these crazy high cars these days. Well let me rephrase that, make payments on these overpriced cars. There are very few people that buy these car and keep them for a long period of time. :spin:

What I always see and it never changes is that people go get these new STI's or WRX and then throw a tune and few parts and end up selling them after a year and a half or so. I see the same excuse each time, I'm going back to school, Me and my girl are buying a house, having a baby, need a truck for work, need more room, Blah blah :spin:.

I am one that keeps my cars, and and my family till they have 200K miles on them. I have no plans to get rid of both legacies, or my Daily ford. I like not making payments. :) The older cars seem to have this raw feeling to them. New cars look the same and have no real character.

Same thing with people saying the GR Corolla is the STI killer, yeah right! all that hype just as the Focus RS was, now you hear nothing about it.

Exactly. my 08 LGT has 213K on the clock I bought it for $6k in 2017 with 160K, outside a replaced turbo and a rogue mouse that chewed the stock boost controller wire, shes been good. Every day you drive a paid for car it pays you back it what I like to think any :lol:

Now that I have two kids I think I'll look into a newer, but not new OB or even a a CPO WRX. Both are roomy, one is MT and I still enjoy driving WV back roads in all seasons.

The Corolla seems fun im glad they at least gave the MT another shot, it wont sell and will be discontinued, but it exists.

road & track magazine is saying toyota is limiting orders because demand is too high for production.

Maybe its worth it. Maybe its speculation. Kind of hope the bottom falls out of the market. Having another turbo manual 3 cylinder would be fun. Stupid fun at low speeds.

I can't wait to see these little corollas on the road. I will be giving them quick graves and RIPs. First they are going to cost, and then no one will have money to mod or tune them because people are scared to void the warranty lol

I also think it's a lot of hype.