LegacyGT.com

2005 Seat Swap to 2006+ with Full Airbag Function

Harrimat

I've been lurking the threads for about 3 years now, slowly maintaining my outback (2.5i shhh don't tell anyone), but never had anything to contribute.

I recently went to the junkyard to look at the selection since my engine is going out but got distracted by a leather interior 2006 that must have been really cared for. an hour later I'm out of there with the seats, carpet, and some other various bric-a-brack. Some of you know where this is going. Long story short the 2005 system does not like 2006+ seats. I looked through the forum and only found methods for faking out the side airbags with resistors, or trying to use both the 2005 and the new seats hardware, or shoving the new upholstery over the old seat.

It took a few days of thinking, but I came to the conclusion that all that is needed is to make a harness to interface the new seat's occupant sensor to the old connection, swap the SRS module in the dash for the correct year, and change out the seat belt for the 2006+ style.

I made this quick little guide while looking busy at work today: 2005 Seat Swap 2006 2007 2008 2009 airbag fix.pdf

Hopefully this makes the process easier for someone else in the future. If you have any questions let me know!

harness.thumb.jpg.b2484f976d15c18f6880812d6241c7ce.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 10 months later...

I did the same thing this summer, brought home some leather 06 Outback seats. I've been stuck trying to figure out the wiring on on the passenger side.

I was also thinking about swapping out the main airbag module under the radio. Was it plug and play? Does that mean I need the whole harness from the airbag module to the seats?

You don't have any airbag codes or any lights on the dash?

Do you mind explaining a little more in detail on what you did to make it work? It would be much appreciated!

Hey!

Trying to jog my memory on this

You will definitely want to grab a 2006 or 2007 airbag module. These share the same pinouts as the 2005 module, but the logic  on the occupancy sensor is different.  By changing the ACM to the 06-07 vintage, you are able to not change out your harnesses.

With the ACM swapped,  the seat harness soldered up as shown, and the 2006+ seatbelt I haven't had any airbag lights and the system behaves as it should.

I can try to answer more of your questions, I just need to get back in there and remember! Just let me know ow if I'm unclear in the pdf anywhere and I can try to fix it

Matt

Oh my bad! I first read your post on my phone late at night and didn't see you linked a "how-to" pdf! Wow you did an amazing job formatting and organizing! I've been going around in circles for months trying to figure out what to do!

My LGT is already half apart so getting to the ACM is easy. I would avoid modifying any harnesses in my situation simply because before swapping seats, there were already airbag codes for communication errors involving the 2005 ODS etc. so I'm unsure if it was the ODS from the 05 or it could be a messed up harness between the seat and ACM or maybe even the ACM itself.

My question is. Would it work to swap the ACM, seatbelt, and the entire harness to the front seats? I know it would be a lot more work since I would have to remove the carpet to replace everything but that ensures there would be no issues with the old harness.

My guess it would work considering I'm swapping essentially everything at that point🤪 I was getting mixed answers on the ability to freely swap out ACMs. Some manufactures lock modules to the VIN but I'm happy Subaru didn't go that way. 

No worries-- it sounds like you're almost there! Yeah, if you pulled a harness for your 2006 seats, they will route and connect to the 06/07 airbag module and you'll be golden.

Those harnesses are IN THERE and tough to get out from my experience. That's when I decided to cut the connector off and just make sure the wiring went to the correct place.

Have you found the service manuals for all the years you're working in? They really helped me out comparing the module connections to make sure I rewired as little as possible. 

I would bet your original problem may have just been a bad sensor in the seat. You could always check the +/- wiring on the ODS pins of the harness at the ACM and the seat for continuity to ensure that section is electrically OK.

EDIT: nvm you are in a 2009 now so that old harnes doesn't really matter anymore-- whoops!

Matt

Edited by Harrimat
reread your comment
  • Thanks 1

Alright. So I've decided that pulling out the entire harness is far too much work. You're right, they are really IN there. So I just got back from the scrap yard now with all my goodies.

I will be building the harness shortly following your guide but I'm confused as to what this connector does?

2 pin connector with 1 wire only?

What do I do with it?

Male connector from the body harness on my LGT

119054066_PXL_20230105_2126415242.thumb.jpg.e8e860d2fb72ef5d9aa46ed6ac187bb1.jpg

Female end from my original seat that I'll be taking the 4 pin from.

1770635321_PXL_20230105_2126101532.thumb.jpg.ada0141513310ab1950a44f158bdf70f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wanted to post an update months ago but got side tracked. I followed the instructions and it works beautifully!! I'm so happy that damn airbag light is off on my cluster. Passenger occupancy works just as it would from the factory. Thank you so much for this amazing write up!

Next up is fixing the CEL🙄

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey there guys!

This is my first time replying to a post! I'm doing a similar swap as everyone else here except I'm installing 05 seats in my 06 Legacy GT. I'm also filming the process and will be linking this topic on my YouTube channel!

I have a full 05 parts car that I can steal parts from. Since I will be swapping the SRS module from an 05 into my 06 I'm guessing it might be okay to leave the 06 seatbelt in since the 05 SRS module won't even be looking for the tensioner sensor. Unless theres a difference in the seat mounting bolt, which I haven't tested yet.

My 06 also never had an electric passenger seat, but I'm sure I can figure that out on my own!

But my real question is what this white and purple wire are going too? I'm pretty sure white would be 12V going to the battery. Just really unsure about the purple. Also the harness I'm reffering too I removed from the 05 passenger front floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

20240407_200451.jpg

17125351825466678788356580165984.jpg

I'm unsure what the purpose of the purple wire is but I do know that I left that one alone. I just left it unplugged on the floor and it hasn't given me any issue! The white wire is the ods positive from what I can see.

1 hour ago, FrankensteinLegacy said:

I'm unsure what the purpose of the purple wire is but I do know that I left that one alone. I just left it unplugged on the floor and it hasn't given me any issue! The white wire is the ods positive from what I can see.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, that may have worked for you since you own an 05. However, I am installing 05 seats into my 06 so I believe I will need that purple wire due to having to run an 05 SRS module. Also the white wire is not ODS+ since I am using the end of the harness from the car, not from the seat. The wiring diagram provided in this write up does not work for me exactly since I'm using the opposite connectors and wires. I'm 99% sure its 12V to battery, which I am assuming I can just wire it up to any constant 12V source. I'm just really unsure about that purple wire.

Ah right I see, I remember looking for the purple wire on the diagrams and could not find it at all. The last option if you really want to be sure is actually follow the purple wire to where it leads. It's a pain in the ass but at least you'll be sure.

1 hour ago, FrankensteinLegacy said:

Ah right I see, I remember looking for the purple wire on the diagrams and could not find it at all. The last option if you really want to be sure is actually follow the purple wire to where it leads. It's a pain in the ass but at least you'll be sure.

I may end up trying that later on. I'm currently trying to find where this connector is located and taping into it. Might attwmpt using the 05 seat and 06 SRS module since the purple and white wire are not being utilized. May work, may not...

Screenshot_20240408_155405.jpg

Posted (edited)

That purple wire is part of the occupant detection system for the 2005, I believe it is a serial output for the Subaru Select Monitor.  I would have to download the tech manual for the 2005 again to be sure.  I believe it connects to the Airbag control module, but it might not have any direct use unless you're running a diagnostic.

I'll have to try to refresh my brain on the system. It's been rock solid since I swapped everything and I don't ever have to think about it!  I could be talking completely out of my ass.

2 hours ago, ZachLush said:

I'm currently trying to find where this connector is located and taping into it.

I believe I cut that connector out of the donor car just so I could keep the seat connector intact from the new seat in case I had to yank it out for some reason.    

**edit**  the circled plug is the seat belt tensioner connection.  Since the 2005 does not have this, I cut the harness out of the donor car just so that I could clip/unclip for install and wouldn't have to try to crimp with the seat in the car.  This gives the 2006+ seat occupancy sensor information from the seatbelt

Edited by Harrimat
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response!

I'm going to try something a little bit different by using the 06 SRS module, 05 passenger seat, and I'll have to get that brown connector from a donor car. Might be awhile until that happens. If I make any discoveries I'll share it here! 

If you think I'm wasting my time and I shod just be using the 05 SRS module let me know. I know its been awhile since you wrote up this post!

Posted (edited)

Definitely feel free to give it a try. The worst case is it takes you a couple extra days and you'll still learn something in the process, I'm sure.  I wouldn't say you'd be wasting your time--I think we all kind of enjoy the tinkering even if it leads to a dead end :)

I'm just not confident that you can get the 2006 airbag control module to interface 2005 occupants detection system without running some sort of circuit in the middle to convert the output from the seat so the 2006 module can understand it.

Do you have the service manuals for the two years?  If not here are a couple pages that might help you with your tinkering.

Here is a page from the 2005 manual on the airbag system:

image.thumb.png.28d439cabfdfc06dcd32e558b2cbc1d4.png

The 2006+ start giving the occupant system it's own page:

image.thumb.png.50081fd77b0fafa31332c5b486885f07.png

Edited by Harrimat
Added wiring diagrams

Hey!

I got it working and wired up lastnight! You were correct Harrimat, I had to use the 05 airbag module. After doing that I followed your wiring diagram and gave the white wire a 12V constant power source and the occupation detection works flawlessly. (I used the 12V power from the seats). The purple wire and 3 blue wires are currently not being used and it seems to work just fine. Also the marettes were being used for testing, after I tucked the wires they were removed and joined properly.

To give the passenger seat power I made a T-harness from my donor car that plugs into the driver seat and runs to the passenger. I ended up cleaning everything up after but it looks very OEM now! I also had to swap the passenger seatbelt for the 05 since the mounting point is smaller and the 06 is too bulky to mount to the seat. I'll be posting a YouTube video about it later on and I'll share the link on here when I do! But I now have 05 seats working in my 06 LGT.

Thanks! :)

20240415_191219.jpg

20240415_191224.jpg

20240415_191230.jpg

20240415_191227.jpg

20240415_190814.jpg

20240415_190845.jpg

• Like 3