LegacyGT.com

1996 Subaru Legacy GT-B Emissions Testing

I just bought the car and it was delivered yesterday from Florida (original point of import). I took it to emissions testing today and they failed the car as they said it had an OBD1 port rather than OBD2 so they couldn't test it.

Has anyone run into a similar issue and resolved?

I am in Arizona. I insured it as a classic car so will likely look for an exemption based on that, but wondering if there are any other solutions.

What market was it originally sold in? Every USDM gasoline car in 96 was OBD II by law. Diesels took an extra year or two. My 95 USDM Legcay is OBD II-ish, meaning it has a II port and speaks the II protocol, but it doesn't have as broad a sensor suite as later II cars. I don't know for sure, but I believe the ECU hardware is the same as OBD I with a different firmware loaded, and 96 and up had ECU hardware that is different from mine.

It was imported from Japan.

I went back to the DMV today to transfer the title and get it registered. I just told them I needed a classic vehicle exemption, they looked at my insurance card and that was the end of it. No questions, no inspection, nothing. So it all worked out, but strange the emissions people were clueless and didnt have an intention on helping out.

I believe US market didn't get the 2nd gen GT models?

Don't know if 2nd gen has OBD1 scan tool connector at all but they have this feature called "self"-diagnostics. You'll have to remove the plastic housing under the steering wheel and look for two black connectors just dangling around. While ignition is off, connect these two pins and turn ignition on and count how many times check engine light is blinking. Long blink = tens and short blink = ones. e.g. 3 long blinks and 2 short blinks equals code 32 ("Oxygen sensor or circuit"). Starting the engine with these two connectors engaged will remove any errors from ECU.

I just bought the car and it was delivered yesterday from Florida (original point of import). I took it to emissions testing today and they failed the car as they said it had an OBD1 port rather than OBD2 so they couldn't test it.

Has anyone run into a similar issue and resolved?

I am in Arizona. I insured it as a classic car so will likely look for an exemption based on that, but wondering if there are any other solutions.

JDM cars weren't required to have OBD2 until around 2000 if I'm not mistaken. They put the sniffer in the exhaust for obd1 vehicles but don't hook up to the computer.

Don't know if 2nd gen has OBD1 scan tool connector at all but they have this feature called "self"-diagnostics. You'll have to remove the plastic housing under the steering wheel and look for two black connectors just dangling around. While ignition is off, connect these two pins and turn ignition on and count how many times check engine light is blinking. Long blink = tens and short blink = ones. e.g. 3 long blinks and 2 short blinks equals code 32 ("Oxygen sensor or circuit"). Starting the engine with these two connectors engaged will remove any errors from ECU.

good information but completely left field for the issue OP was having.

interesting info and good to know, thanks for sharing!

JDM cars weren't required to have OBD2 until around 2000 if I'm not mistaken. They put the sniffer in the exhaust for obd1 vehicles but don't hook up to the computer.

Yeah, thats what was strange is they seemed unwilling to do the sniffer test, I guess since technically its a 96 and to them 96 and newer would be OBD2. It was so weird, the car is completely stock from factory and both locations I went to acted like I was up to no good lol.

It all looks perfectly on point to the OP's claim that it does not have OBDII port. If it is a JDM then it indeed is OBDI, lacks the port, and therefore can not be tested by the testing station in his area. Being that USDM requires OBDII for his year, the car isn't really road legal in the US, but he found a loophole in the "classic car" registration that let him get his papers. As long as we don't end up with the boa constricter interpretation of that law out here that some other places now have where a classic registered car may only be driven to and from a repair shop or a registered car show, he is all set.