LegacyGT.com

Header wrap - no heat shield?

GearJamr

Quick question - if I get headers and wrap them with heat wrap, can I do away with the heat shields?

i'm doing turbo back and up-pipe, figure might as well do the headers too since 90% will be removed anyway and my heat shields are pretty much done....lots of holes.

I don't like wrapping the headers since they tend to be a fire hazard when exposed to oil or power steering fluid. You're better off looking for a new set of heat shields off a junkyard car.

I would ceramic coat the up pipe, downpipe can be wrapped just make sure to seal with high temp silicone spray like DEI #10301

Sounds like you dont have headers, but are referring to the OEM exhaust manifold(s). Those are cast and you dont want to waste the time and money wrapping them. If ti bothers you, and the heatshield bolts are removable you can replace with junk yard heat shields. But, being in Ottawa, the bolts might strip or break in the removal attempt.

Sounds like you dont have headers, but are referring to the OEM exhaust manifold(s). Those are cast and you dont want to waste the time and money wrapping them. If ti bothers you, and the heatshield bolts are removable you can replace with junk yard heat shields. But, being in Ottawa, the bolts might strip or break in the removal attempt.

I'm looking at installing headers, and not 100% convinced stock heat shields will fit properly. Just trying to gauge if there are reasonable alternatives.