LegacyGT.com

Is there some secret to taking off the midpipe spring bolts?

Artizan

I'm trying to remove my downpipe. The bolts and nuts on the midpipe connection, the one with springs, is simply spinning in place when I try to undo it. Am I missing something?

What I mean is that I'm holding the nut and undoing the bolt, but the nut doesn't actually make any progress moving off the bolt.

Cut and replace. Can you get a grinder or torches down there? Those bolts and that connection seem to take a beating from the heat and environmental conditions. Don't waste the time trying to reuse, which I'm sure isn't what you are after, just cut them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

When going back together, just use common 3/8 or 10mm bolts, washers and nuts. That's what I've been doing for years.

Look around for high temp hardware if you want.

There's a post in the "sticky" at the top of the 4th Gen forum, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html see post # 128

That has a link to some fasteners.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When going back together, just use common 3/8 or 10mm bolts, washers and nuts. That's what I've been doing for years.

Look around for high temp hardware if you want.

There's a post in the "sticky" at the top of the 4th Gen forum, https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html see post # 128

That has a link to some fasteners.

No springs?

The springs are there to keep consistent force on the graphite donut as it compresses over time. you dont need the springs if you've replaced the down and mid-pipe to have a regular flat gasket, or if you dont mind snugging up the joint from time to time. if the flanges are touching after you bolt it up, then the springs arent doing anything anyways.