LegacyGT.com

“Downpipe is easy, it’s just a couple of bolts and nuts!”

Artizan

**** me right in the arse. Even the chisel isn’t getting them. There’s Barry even anything left of one, yet it’s still on!

Help please! Open to any ideas that don’t involve me cutting off the whole stud and then having to remove the remains

gjYu2wj.jpg

GOcQ3nW.jpg

I had a ton of problems with that bolt when removing my downpipe years ago. Because of the tight spacing I could not get an extractor on the nut tight enough.

What ultimately worked for me (not extractor, chisel, propane torch, induction heat) was using an oscillating multitool with a carbide blade. The stud ended up coming out with the nut. The stud is removable, FYI, and I use copper anti-size when putting on the new ones for future serviceability. This is what mine looked like when I finally got it off. It was one of the sweetest feelings I ever experienced. I hope this helps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=282466&d=1580094754

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I had a ton of problems with that bolt when removing my downpipe years ago. Because of the tight spacing I could not get an extractor on the nut tight enough.

What ultimately worked for me (not extractor, chisel, propane torch, induction heat) was using an oscillating multitool with a carbide blade. The stud ended up coming out with the nut. The stud is removable, FYI, and I use copper anti-size when putting on the new ones for future serviceability. This is what mine looked like when I finally got it off. It was one of the sweetest feelings I ever experienced. I hope this helps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=282466&d=1580094754

I dremelled the shit out of mine until a portion of it was completely gone, then it moved from chisel hits.

If the nut is that tight chances are the stud is buggered anyway, I would heat the flange on the other end cherry red and pull the stud with nut. Extractor socket of good vice grips should get it done. If you have a welder, weld a new nut on and use your standard socket.

Sorry, just saw this thread. As I'm reading it, I'm thinking dremel tool. I have use carbid bits to cut nuts off.

Check out Home Depot in the drill bit section for "rotary files" they fit in a common drill.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rotary+files&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&oq=rotary+files&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l8j0i457i512.3507j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here