LegacyGT.com

Reverse Lights

I have just purchased a 2008 Liberty Heritage wagon with the auto. It had a cooked engine which I have replaced and I am readying it for a roadworthy inspection. The only item left on my list is the reversing lights won't work. I have checked the fuse, globes and the wiring into the tailgate and all OK (no power at the globe holders). Does the gearlever position sensor trigger the lights or something else(the dash shows all the gearlever positions OK). I don't have a wiring diagram. Any suggestions where to go from here?

I downloaded the FSM and thought the inhibitor switch might be the culprit but that checked out OK. Armed with the wire color I looked again at the wiring in the tailgate and found that the wire had completely broken (not sure how I missed it the 1st time). Repaired and all OK.

Welcome to the hatch broken wire club, also known as the Legacy Wagon club. Any time something electrical in the hatch isn't working, check and double check the wires through the bellows for a crack or broken wire. I don't even try to do any testing, I just keep checking the wires until I find the broken one, and there has always been a broken one.