LegacyGT.com

Antenna issue

GearJamr

So, I had a ton of body work done to my 05 lgt wagon. A few minor issues after I got it back, but the one that I haven't solved yet is that the antenna is not pulling in fm stations like it was previous to the body shop visit.

I can still get stronger signals, though they sometimes fade out or go to static for short periods. Weaker signals MIGHT come through if I'm in just the right spot.

All of these stations I was able to receive without issue before the car went under the knife. My current theory is that something wasn't fastened snugly and I am going to dig in tomorrow to check that out.

Turning on the rear defogger doesn't change anything. Could a ground wire running on the left side of the hatch be the issue? I would think since the antenna does technically work, that the signal booster is either not properly connected or serendipitously conked out.

Anything else I should check for?

Part of the body work included having some rust repaired on the hatch door, which required removal. The rear quarter panels were also cut out and carbon fiber ones put in place. Everything else in the rear works perfectly.

I checked the hinge area of the hatch today and gave a tug on the wires. Nothing seemed to be broken. Checked all the bolts/screws I could find relating to the antenna wires, all seem sound. unplugged and re-connected the connections to the antenna booster. No change. So, looks like I will have to break out the multimeter and take some more time to dig further into the wires.

Yesterday I did a deeper inspection and found the insulation was broken on two of the wires (both that have "red" markings on them). Cut them and spliced in some new wire to run through the rubber tubing. No change. The larger black wire (assuming a common ground) had no visible issues.

I had the radio on, and unplugged the connector from the window to the antenna amp, and no change to reception? Shouldn't unplugging the window connector pretty much knock out reception totally?

I tried to get the multimeter on the power connector but didn't have anything appropriate to stick in the connector. Will search for a thin paper clip as some wire I had in a bread board was not thick enough to hold.

I did find a flanged bolt with a slightly rounded head laying in the hatch area right beside the fender-covering trim. Maybe something under there is not connected.....

Oddest problem I have encountered.

Edited by GearJamr

• 1 month later...
I hit up a kenny u pull yard and grabbed another antenna amp to test with. Plugged loosely hanging there, worked great. Soon as I touch it to the metal of the car, reception goes wonky. Pull it away from the car, reception is good. Seems a faulty ground somewhere. Can't wait to pull apart 1/2 the car to find it.