LegacyGT.com

Which Intake for more Turbo Sounds?

All_talk

What aftermarket intake or mods could a person do if they wanted to hear a little more of the spinny whooshy sounds?

I realize that I don't need a new intake for my power goals (stage II) and I'm not looking for super loud or droning suction, just a little up tick in the fun noises.

Options? With or without changes to the tune?

Gary

What aftermarket intake or mods could a person do if they wanted to hear a little more of the spinny whooshy sounds?

I realize that I don't need a new intake for my power goals (stage II) and I'm not looking for super loud or droning suction, just a little up tick in the fun noises.

Options? With or without changes to the tune?

Gary

Billet compressor wheel make spinny sound

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

you could vent to atmosphere instead of intake tract? remove the resonator from the oem airbox? use an external wastegate and use a thruhood vent for it? how much ricer do you want to be?

or you could drive everywhere in 2nd gear with the radio off and replace stock mufflers with cherry bomb. Pretty much as much noise as you can handle

or you could drive everywhere in 2nd gear with the radio off and replace stock mufflers with cherry bomb. Pretty much as much noise as you can handle

I saw/heard a 3 series Bimmer with a fantabulous set up that must have been close to this today. It was awefull.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

you could vent to atmosphere instead of intake tract? remove the resonator from the oem airbox? use an external wastegate and use a thruhood vent for it? how much ricer do you want to be?

OK, I guess I deserve that, but that is not what I'm looking for. But you kinda made my point for me, too hear any of the fun noises with the stock setup you have to turn the radio off and drive around in second gear. Subaru did a great job making the car civilized, as a good GT car should be.

I'm not looking for showy and I don't need anyone outside the car to hear me. I prefer my cars to look stockish and any mods to look (or sound) as if they could have been a factory option. I just find the stock setup a little to subtle when I'm in the mood for a spirited drive, for me it more about driver engagement. My ideal would be stock sounds for normal around town and hi-way cruise, but wake up a little when you are deep in the pedal. Maybe this best or both worlds in not possible with the intake?

removing the resonator from the stock air box will help. swapping to noiser mufflers will help, turn off the radio will help, drive in non-optimal gears at excessive rpm will help. It was designed as a luxury touring car not a sports car. you could remove the carpet and insulation, that makes it really loud. look for a wagon with that already done coming up for sale soon

I think I've found the right balance on the exhaust with the A'pexi WS2, great tone, a little louder than stock when you are on it, no noticeable change from stock when you go easy or at hi-way cruise. I'm just hoping there is a similar "balanced" setup for the intake.

I think I've found the right balance on the exhaust with the A'pexi WS2, great tone, a little louder than stock when you are on it, no noticeable change from stock when you go easy or at hi-way cruise. I'm just hoping there is a similar "balanced" setup for the intake.
There are so many degrees of this. Completely stock, it is quiet, reliable, and enough fun for some. My wife's wagon is a great example of mild. It is 5MT, intake, catted down pipe, stock mid pipe, nameless 5" cans on axle back. Ported VF-40 with billet wheel and tuned. It's fun to drive, quick enough for her and sounds incredible. Zero drone and sounds stock-ish until you punch it. My outback is slightly built with similar intake/exhaust but has a VF-52, EWG, INVIDIA cat back, tuned and border line breaking s#it. It's a blast to drive but I make it about 50 miles and wish I had taken the Wife's. My son has a gutted hawk, only thing inside is a seat, harness, and dash. Tomei turbo back. It's loud, fast, and obnoxious. It's a track car with plates. If he runs to the market, and takes it instead of his daily, I can hear him all the way there and all the way home. Sometimes loud is only fun for a minute.

Edited by norutah

There are so many degrees of this. Completely stock, it is quiet, reliable, and enough fun for some. My wife's wagon is a great example of mild. It is 5MT, intake, catted down pipe, stock mid pipe, nameless 5" cans on axle back. Ported VF-40 with billet wheel and tuned. It's fun to drive, quick enough for her and sounds incredible. Zero drone and sounds stock-ish until you punch it. My outback is slightly built with similar intake/exhaust but has a VF-52, EWG, INVIDIA cat back, tuned and border line breaking s#it. It's a blast to drive but I make it about 50 miles and wish I had taken the Wife's. My son has a gutted hawk, only thing inside is a seat, harness, and dash. Tomei turbo back. It's loud, fast, and obnoxious. It's a track car with plates. If he runs to the market, and takes it instead of his daily, I can hear him all the way there and all the way home. Sometimes loud is only fun for a minute.

Your wife's wagon sounds like about what I'm looking for, what intake is it running?

I drive 500+ miles a week, the last thing I want is to ruin the Grand Touring usability, it's what I love about the car. But it could just a hint more feedback when you give it the beans.

Your wife's wagon sounds like about what I'm looking for, what intake is it running?

I drive 500+ miles a week, the last thing I want is to ruin the Grand Touring usability, it's what I love about the car. But it could just a hint more feedback when you give it the beans.

It is the Cobb but general consensus here is that it is not necessary for her hp level

It is the Cobb but general consensus here is that it is not necessary for her hp level

Totally understood. But I'm looking at it like a cat-back exhaust, lots of us don't need it at our power level but we still have it because we like the sound.

I haven't, I read that removing it make the tone pretty droney and doesn't really add much of the good turbo sounds. But maybe I should try it?

No, the resonator or intake silencer under the air filter box. My son removed mine back in Aug 2004. Remove your air filter and look down, you'll see the plastic box, I think it comes out from the bottom.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here