LegacyGT.com

Quietest exhaust for wagon?

GearJamr

Quietest of aftermarket. Pretty lucky that the OEM exhaust lasted 16 years before disintegrating, so I'd like a modest increase in sound volume to go with the longevity of 304 stainless steel.

I'm in a similar boat GearJamr. My current exhaust is experiencing rust issues from its previous life, but I also can't hear myself thing with the drone it puts out at 3K rpm, which is where I cruise (6MT, ~80 mph, EL headers, catted DP, full 3" custom exhaust from PO)

Fujitsubo Legalis can still be had for decent money new, but it looks like the titanium ones Infosecdad talked about are no longer available. I just need to cut the drone in the cabin down on the highway.

I'm in a similar boat GearJamr. My current exhaust is experiencing rust issues from its previous life, but I also can't hear myself thing with the drone it puts out at 3K rpm, which is where I cruise (6MT, ~80 mph, EL headers, catted DP, full 3" custom exhaust from PO)

Fujitsubo Legalis can still be had for decent money new, but it looks like the titanium ones Infosecdad talked about are no longer available. I just need to cut the drone in the cabin down on the highway.

I generally drive back and forth to work with an occasional foray onto the highway. I have a 6spd in the basement, but rumour is the differential in it is shot so it waits.

My current plan is Fujitsubo Wagolis mufflers with possibly nameless mid/y-pipes. As I stated earlier, I'm not sold on the JDM stuff fitting properly. Otherwise I'd jump on an HKS Super Turbo catback, they have really low dB ratings.

For around $500 you can have a exhaust shop make something for you. My wagon is currently running the stock midpipe, with custom mufflers and tips. They used "magna flow" knock off mufflers about $150 each, and bent pipes to mate to the stock Y pipe. Welded on my DynaMax tips that I bought back in 2013.

The car is quiet but has a nice deep sound at idle, zero drone, but not to loud under WOT. I can hear the turbo spool all the time.

These mufflers are the knock offs that went back on the car a few years back. That's a Q300 muffler that is currently on the Spec B.

DSCN7686.thumb.JPG.4b08ca98c92f9b5cb127b9ac0b723ddf.JPG

Current set up

DSCN8351.thumb.JPG.55bd67c2386335da8c9fa924fb2b6fd2.JPG

DSCN9010.thumb.JPG.2928ee2d29acd1fb67992b0c3cb9c801.JPG

This one is from back in 2013. Custom made Y pipes.

DSCN5310.thumb.JPG.947fccc7c15fe7d87b1eb55edfe777f7.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I went ahead and ordered the nameless mid/y pipe and the fujitsubo wagolis mufflers.

I was concerned about them fitting nicely as the wagolis have a 2" inlet pipe. The Nameless y-pipe is 2.25". However, the axleback from Nameless for BP5 LGT is also a 2" inlet, so should be in the clear.

I ordered the Fujitsubo mufflers from nengun, part 450-64062 if anyone is curious. Specs are rated nice and quiet (quieter than the Legalis R Evolution or SV) so hopefully they'll keep the 3" dp and mid pipe noise to a minimum. :)

Thanks for all the help LGT community!

Please make sure to come back and update after the install.

Will do, assuming I remember. Might be a while, maybe even spring as long as my patch holds. Going to take over a month just to get the mufflers.

• 1 month later...

My 05 stock pipes and mufflers are disintegrating so I have to get a new cat back system. The resonator was removed (rusted out) and that made it a bit louder but totally fine.

A stock system is going to be~$900 but the Xforce caught my eye due to price ($500). I'm sure it will be louder but my biggest concern is highway drone. Drone can be affected by other modifications (downpipes and cats for instance).

Anyone installed the Xforce catback on a stock GT wagon (or sedan) and how was the cabin noise in general and in particular drone at highway speeds?

replacing the resonator part of your choice will reduce the drone noise,if not eliminating it.

He mentioned his whole muffler section is disintegrating too. I'd assume the entire exhaust needs replacement if his has seen lots of salt.

I have managed to make it 190K and 15 years of Boston winters with some help from a muffler shop but Stainless steel is not impenetrable, nor are the mufflers.

One thing I did learn for the greater audience is that you can remove the resonator (after corroding badly)

and replace with a straight pipe with only a very small increase in sound level and no dreaded highway drone.

One thing I did learn for the greater audience is that you can remove the resonator (after corroding badly)

and replace with a straight pipe with only a very small increase in sound level and no dreaded highway drone.

Really? Interesting. I currently have an Invidia catted DP, with OEM midpipe (and resonator), and AVO mufflers. Kept the midpipe as I was afraid that she was gonna be loud. My other car has a 3" midpipe without resonator. Mufflers are Stromung and she is loud when you get on it!

This is the dynamics of "tuning" a system: You can change one thing and make a big difference or many things and change little and everything in between.

I asked this question to the Form about the Xforce system on stock manifolds and downpipes because going without a cat seemed to make it louder (again anecdotally).

The stock exhaust system for any vehicle is a compromise of performance, sound, fitment, and cost and without special knowledge of gas velocities, acoustics, materials, and a readily available Dyno it's hard to get this right without some trial and error.

An example of tuning compromise is my Kawasaki Versys 1000. It has the same engine as the Ninja 1000 but makes 11 less horsepower at redline but has higher torque in the low an midrange which works better on the street.

• 3 weeks later...
I received my mufflers this week. Going to call Nameless on Monday to see when the midpipe will be built and shipped. I'm in between jobs now with some available free time so it would be great if the midpipe could get here in the next couple of weeks.....

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum - I just bought a legacygt with a magnaflow catback and it's absurdly loud.

I installed a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator in the unresonated mid pipe and it's more tolerable, but still too loud. Does anyone have a lead on stock replacement mufflers? I'm having a tough time finding them from the usual suspects (bosal/walker/etc).

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum - I just bought a legacygt with a magnaflow catback and it's absurdly loud.

I installed a vibrant ultra-quiet resonator in the unresonated mid pipe and it's more tolerable, but still too loud. Does anyone have a lead on stock replacement mufflers? I'm having a tough time finding them from the usual suspects (bosal/walker/etc).

I looked at Rock Auto a couple months ago to just get something cheap on the car to get through winter. I could get a left muffler but not a right one and it would cost mucho bucks for shipping. Best to call around to try and find some.

I'm running a fujitsubo legalis catback on my wagon and it sounds great. Nice and quiet at cruising speeds but really opens up at higher rpm.

I really considered the legalis catback for a while. Looking at the specs on the fujitsubo site, the wagolis mufflers beat the legalis in dB levels. Given I went with nameless mid-pipe (3") I want the beefier cans to keep noise at a minimum during startup and cruise. Got a lot of government workers living around me, don't want to get them up too early. :D

I would go to a local exhaust shop and tell them what you want and see what they can do for you.

Really my "magnaflow" knock off's are not loud at all. Again, I'm running the stock midpipe after the invidia catted Dp.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 8 months later...

So a quick update.  Got the whole system installed (Invidia 3" catted dp, nameless 3" mid/y pipe, Fujitsubo Wagolis mufflers).  Was not an "easy" install, very tight fit.  My 14 year old son assisted, and we had to do some pulling on components to get them to line up, but we did it. 

After a tune, the sound is quite easy to live with.  At 75 mph on the highway with the windows up and radio off, no drone, and could easily have a conversation without having to talk above normal volume. 

I'm planning to grab some sound clip videos this weekend.  Getting Invidia catless up and Killer B headers installed next week, so will do another round of clips after that to show the difference.

On the whole, I am pleased with the result of my franken-xhaust in terms of getting quiet during normal driving with a slight increase during more spirited driving.  My tuner even remarked I'm not likely to get bothered with that exhaust (there are a couple officers here who REALLY like to target loud exhausts - especially Subarus).  

• Like 2

Love to hear a clip of that.
I forgot about this thread and should have at least chirped in a while ago.

I did of course install the Borla cat-back, a Grimmspeed DP the JMP VF40, and changed plans from the used Invidia UP I had found to the V-band Holy Header. No longer part of the rumble crowd, but I can't say that I care a whole lot. EL Headers sounds awesome, and since my whole plan for the car was not about mad power, rather quick spool and response, they fit the bill.

Of course it is louder than stock now, but aside from the goofy y-pipe that as advertised takes up some space where it could have been tucked away, the whole setup isn't too bad. I installed a hitch as well, so it's debatable which will hit the ground first. I also installed Spec B (B6?) struts on what I think are Rev. B springs, so ride height isn't an issue. The pinks the car came with were too low for the roads I drive.

I need to give it more time, but overall impressions are that it is pretty tame overall. If you are standing right at the exhausts at idle, it is quite loud, but the pitch is so low that if you walk even a few feet away it tapers off right away. My next door neighbours, whose exterior wall is like 2 feet from where I park and start the car up haven't so much as mentioned the noise. (And this is a guy who sits on his porch yelling at cars to slow down....)

General driving around town, is pretty good as long as you don't see every stop sign as an opportunity to launch the thing. It turns a few heads, but I think perhaps that it's mainly car people having a look around, not Joe public. I doubt I would attract much attention from the law unless I was really digging it, at which point it is a little snarly, but in a good way. Drone is not so bad for me, but I'm also not over the "new car" thing of having rebuilt half the freaking car, so I've been doing a lot of radio off, listen to the engine/spooly noises driving. My first road trip home to visit family will be a good test 500+km, much of which is fairly empty highway in central Ontario...

I'm just about to post my exhaust clip in the thread in the exhaust section.  Go check it out if you want to have a listen.

Just got my headers and catless up installed so will have to do another round to compare.  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll chime in here...

I have the Borla system on my wagon with a Cobb catted DP, JMP VF52, and Invidia catless UP. Stock manifolds and crossover pipe.  I love the way this system sounds overall but there is drone at freeway speeds that I wish I could tame.  From reading this thread it sounds like maybe adding a resonator would help but I wonder what that will do to the overall sound?  And, as mentioned, this system hangs low at the Y-pipe and the tips are tucked kind of far under the bumper.  I was going to take it to an exhaust shop to see if the tips could be extended so guess I'll ask them about adding a resonator, too.  Just another data point if it's useful to anyone.

• 1 year later...

Adding my 2 cents as well.

Bought used, had a straight pipe so it was loud as hell. Got a custom made 3" DP + Catback that goes out to two Borla mufflers. It also has a Vibrant Peformance Ultra Quiet resonator and well... It's now mostly quiet except for a very deep rumble at low RPMs, and a lot of droning at anything about 2.5K RPM.

I honestly would like it to be quieter, so I'm going to try to either add another muffler or get a different resonator. Or maybe get a full 2.25" or 2.5" system. :/