LegacyGT.com

Wagon Meet-Up 2022

In response to the traction Jaylew's comment (posted below) gained, and conversation surrounding the annual Wagonfest put on in the PNW I've decided this was worth a thread of it's own. This is to keep the topic from cluttering other threads, and to have all discussion surrounding the idea of a national LegacyGT.com meet-up, all consolidated in one place.

Ok so this is what I see…Next year, wagon owners from the NE go through to MI where we all meet to continue out west. Between all of us with ample storage space because wagon, we should have enough space for spare parts and tools so that any break downs should be fixable in parking lots

Or we make our own Legacy wagon fest at a more central mid western location

And sedan owners…sorry not sorry.

Definitely would love to see this cross-country trip take place!

If not, let's make something happen in a more centralized location for a LegacyGT national meet-up for the year 2022.

I'd prefer the former over the latter, of course, as it is conveniently set up for all wagon owners aready and has been established as a national event for the past long while now, bonus points as it's also closer to a chunk of us in the region :hide:

If we were serious about this, a few things needs to be considered:

1) If we do our own thing completely, how would we stand this up?

- [unofficial route] We could keep it quiet and on here only.

- [Offical route] We can get other companies/businesses involved to include the guys that run Wagonfest. We could create a chapter in a more feasible location for the West-coasters, New-englanders, Mid-westerners, and Southerners to come together to. I would likely need the assistance of someone close to or local of the desired destination for out meet-up if we went this route. If we go this route I'd like to have some sort of simple RSVP system in place so we don't show up with only 4 cars.

2) Would yall like to see more than just some of the 4th gen guys on here?

- Keeping to the topic of WAGONS ONLY, do yall want to see 1st-4th gens? Or just the BP-chassis?

Additionally:

If we decided to do a forum meet up, we should make a weekend out of it for the travelers to maximize the journey. The template could look something like this:

Saturday can be made up of washing the cars in the morning, a day of driving with fun, scenic, spirited roads planned, and finished up with a dinner out. Sunday could either be it's own day (plans in the making) or we could piggyback off of a local automotive event (be it a Cars&Coffee or something more significant like Girdlife) for a bonus activity —the main objective being to just get all the 4th gen owners together for an enjoyable weekend.

NOTE: *These days can be flip-flopped. This is a template*

Food for Thought:

- Owners in their respective regions can make a small road rally out of it to the centralized location were we'd ALL meet up, to make for more enjoyable travel to and fro.

- Having had the privilege to meet a bunch of y'all already, I wouldn't be opposed to going in on an AirBnB with some of y'all. Wifey or no wifey. Of course this can all be discussed in greater detail after some other key parts of this wonderful idea are established.

- PNW would be a great place for it seems the roads were made for enthusiasts, and the weather is very beautiful about the time this gathering would take place making for many enjoyable activities outside.

- The above template can be used and expanded upon for any of the answers to question #1 including using Wagonfest as an excuse to get together for the entire weekend of.

- I don't have a Facebook, and I understand there to be Legacy/Outback groups on there that some of you are also a part of. For those of you who have Facebooks I'll create a link to this very thread that you can copy and paste, for ease, so that others who aren't on this board can see:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wagon-meet-up-2022-286821.html

Looking forward to see what we come up with!!

Edited by Febreze Mee

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Subbed - it would be great to put some faces to the names here. As for official/unofficial, I would think that vendors aren't that interested in a 12-16 year old platform, but it all depends on turnout. A good next step is to determine a date and location. That will put a stake in the ground and we can begin to gauge commitments. I, for one, usually like to do at least one annual road trip and am down irrespective of location. My gut is telling me this is more of a forum gathering than a Wagon/Subiefest. Edited by Enlight

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Wonder what the logistics of renting a track for a day would be, or to set up an autocross or something...

track rental tends to be expensive. Local tracks are in the 10k range plus ancillary costs. Insurance is generally the killer tho. Using a parking lot or the paddock (parking lot at a track) is much cheaper. The other option is contract with Avants or similar organization to help with hosting.

Rain City Subies (a PNW Subaru club) uses random public parking areas for their meets. I've been to a couple with 50+ cars, mostly wrx. NSFW is a member, maybe.

The local wagonfest is any longroof car.

A lgt forum meet would be interesting. There used to be a large east coast meet put on by a former member/shop, AZP installs. The listing are in the archives.

Wicked Big Meet and similar orgs often have brand specific areas.

I'd say meeting up in Kansas or other centrally situated state would share the driving distance, but I'd rather be somewhere with interesting roads at least.

I'm definitely interested. Really depends on location and date. Somewhere west would be preferred for the roads and scenery but it's certainly the furthest for me to get to.

If it takes more than 12 hours to get to from DC or WI, I probably wouldn't have the time to make the drive.

Edited by Holla

I'm definitely interested. Really depends on location and date. Somewhere west would be preferred for the roads and scenery but it's certainly the furthest for me to get to.

If it takes more than 12 hours to get to from DC or WI, I probably wouldn't have the time to make the drive.

DC or WI? So pretty much anywhere is acceptable except Florida & California? :eek:

We can wish Cannonball levels of driving on everyone but reality is tough. Cannonball runs are east to west because the low average speed at the start is compensated by the longer distance at higher speeds as you go west.

12 hours from Seattle is San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Boise, Yellowstone.

12 hours from LA is Portland, Vegas, Phoenix, West Texas

12 hours from Denver isnt much...Chicago? Kansas City

12 hours from Chicago hits the middle of the country.

12 hours from most East coast locations doesn't cross the Mississippi river.

A 3 day weekend with the meet on Sunday might be easier.

I have actual free time for the first time in my life. Going to regional meets seems like fun.

Maybe a Tail of the Dragon meet? Its a hike for west coasters but we could probably find a location that would host us.

Labor Day, the first Monday of every September, takes place on Sept 5, 2022 next year.

Labor Day should be a 3-day weekend for most ppl. And a single vacation day taken on the Friday before could easily turn it into a 4-day, with travels starting Thursday evening/Friday morning. We could take Friday evening to get settled in to the centralized location. Saturday/Sunday activities. Monday for travel back.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Fwiw I did tail of the dragon this summer and like. It's definitely a road. I personally wouldn't go outta my way for it. Lots of traffic. Got stuck behind someone hauling jet skis.

I hate Kansas mostly because that's where I spun a rod bearing two days after purchase.

I'm willing to travel. I'd offer to help plan but am also notoriously unreliable. The meet in the middle is why rally cross nationals is always somewhere I don't want to go lol.

I had kinda thought more of a cars and coffee kinda meet. Sorta a not need to rent a space thing but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You cars and coffee is an organized thing, right?

You cars and coffee is an organized thing, right?

I more meant the "this dunkin donuts doesn't care when 30 of us show up on Sundays cuz we buy things" sorta cars and coffee. Is cars and coffee an official organization? I always thought it was more a genre.

I've also been into cars for maybe two years lol.

Richwood west Virginia is pretty central for an eastern meet. Boston is about 12hrs. Anything this year should probably happen in early October before people put cars away or winter closes mountain roads.

Richwood to us 219, the Highland scenic highway, is supposed to be picturesque, can't say much for "fun" as I've never been. October 10, 17, or 24 I would think would be the narrow window of time off approvals and before winter maybe.

Looking at the map I see it's near snowshoe so depending on how many people would be interested, driving it east to west might be better as I'm guessing people would plan to get there Saturday. Drive the route Sunday morning and head home.

Edited by Nonamedude
  • Like 1

Ok

1) this is super exciting!

2) I feel that the more people involved, the easier and more willing I am to bomb threw the night to get to a destination

3) no worries on sleeping accommodations...cause wagon

I need to finish reading everyone's comments because damn this blew up quick!

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

We can just do regional ones and open it it to travelers. might be easier?

That's be more sane approach. It's more realistic to get something small(er) going, figure out the logistics and caveats, and build from there. Rather than try to get something big and have it flop - people will be reluctant to come again even if things get better.

Same as WBM started in its time. Started small, got big (too big for me at the end).

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Ok

1) this is super exciting!

2) I feel that the more people involved, the easier and more willing I am to bomb threw the night to get to a destination

3) no worries on sleeping accommodations...cause wagon

I need to finish reading everyone's comments because damn this blew up quick!

Either you don't sleep in your wagon often or yer young.

Bombing through the night after a long week thrashing to finish yer car should be an expected thing. It's part of the joy. :cool:

Speaking of sleeping in the wagon, blocking out campsites at some national/state park might be cool. Bonfires, drinking, not having to drive under the influence...

If we're going to be making choices like that, we should hold the regionals in areas with epic roads so we can race for best time, too. Given the proclivity for ppl to overdrive their grand touring cars on sport driving roads and stuff them...we could name the tours after the avatar that did the first stuffing. Too much...too soon?

Although a one lap of great roads stitching together regional hotbeds of lgt ownership would be a fun experience. I'm sure we could find a favorite shop to host a fix it day the day after. You join up for the sections that work for you. You get "track map" stickers for each one you do. The final "map" is the driveway of the factory? Subaru marketing has to be interested in seeing how many 4th gens are still on the road?

The local Porsche club & Audi club have had a lot of success hosting regional tours. The first Audi trip I joined had over 100 cars. An Audi dealer hosted the starting point meetup. We got to check out the cars, get a tour of the shop, have a continental breakfast and then head out for the tour. 2-3 hours of driving, stop for lunch at a nice beer garden, then another hour or so. At the end, you had 2 choices: take the freeway home or take the fun route home.

Porsche tour information: https://pnwr.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=502548&module_id=196487

Audi tour information (covid did a number on tours this year): https://audiclubna.org/northwest/events/

These are formal events where you have to register because reservations had to be booked ahead. A tour organizer is required to pull it off, tho