LegacyGT.com

How would I swap a HK 8" for the base 6.5" Head Unit

The screen in my base 2018 Legacy has fried out with several bubbles rendering it unusable. While I can get a Kenwood Excelon DMX706s from Crutchfield, along with the Idatalink deluxe kit to replace it, I was wondering if it was possible to grab a salvage HK8" factory unit to install instead.

The key is compatibility with Android Auto.

If so, what modifications would be necessary - and where might I come by them?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Ljaynavl

The screen in my base 2018 Legacy has fried out with several bubbles rendering it unusable. While I can get a Kenwood Excelon DMX706s from Crutchfield, along with the Idatalink deluxe kit to replace it, I was wondering if it was possible to grab a salvage HK8" factory unit to install instead.

The key is compatibility with Android Auto.

If so, what modifications would be necessary - and where might I come by them?

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Ljaynavl

I good stereo shop could make a aftermarket head unit look nice but if you want to go back to a stock HK UNIT I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work with your car since that's what you have now.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

The current unit in the car is the 6.5" version rather than the upgraded HK unit. By my thinking, I'd need a new mounting bracket (not sure if a purchased unit would have one on it, and perhaps some wiring harness adapters...
A good stereo shop will have everything you need and definitely make it look nice with some trim pieces to make it look like it fits..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk