LegacyGT.com

VF40 compressor housing on a VF38?

So I have a JDM 2.0GT that came with the VF38 as stock, and I want a uprated TMIC. Now, there are only 2 choices that can fit the VF38, and maybe 20 that fits the VF40.

Given that the 2 turbos share the exact same CHRA and dimensions, would it be possible for me to just find a VF40 housing and swap that over to the VF38?

Thanks in advance!

Subbed for turbo wisdom. Where the hell did you even find any aftermarket intercoolers for the VF38 (unless you're not in north america)

AVO still makes them but will cost like 1300 AUD after import charges to the UK. ARC also makes them to order but obviously thats gonna cost as much as a long engine lmao

Good to know, but the prices are on the spicy side for what they are. Ended up buying a VF40/VF52 type TMIC for the wife's car and modifying it to work with the VF38 because it was the cheapest option by far, but what a chore

Mind sharing how you do that? I'd imagine it'll be 5cm too short?

Yup, it was about that much too short. Had to cut/weld the cooler to replace the VF40 flange with a pipe that can be clamped into the factory VF38 plastic elbow. I have zero aluminum welding experience so had a friend do this for me, turned out pretty good. No leaks, but it took a few attempts IIRC.

IMG_20210113_214326.thumb.jpg.105c7e07e581656efa5d070639eb8b17.jpg