LegacyGT.com

Need to replace exhaust - what do I need?

GearJamr

So one of my mufflers broke off at the y-pipe on the weekend, and since the rest of my exhaust is pretty rusty (it is 16 years old after all), best to just do a full turbo back. So I obviously need a down pipe and cat back. Do I need a mid-pipe or cross-over pipe? Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!

Hi there,

I just replaced my exhaust a couple of months ago on my 2005 LGT (non wagon) but it should be pretty similar.

For me, the downpipe was one purchased item and the catback was a second purchased "kit". That got me all the way from the turbo exhaust port to the tailpipes. I bought all Invidia. Fitment was great and it looks (and sounds) amazing.

You'll likely also need a new turbo to downpipe gasket and downpipe to cat-back gasket. The Invidia cat-back kit is basically 4 individual parts (2 mufflers, mid pipe, y pipe) and it comes with the necessary nuts, bolts and gaskets for those parts.

You should probably also get new hangers. On the non-wagon version I needed 5.

Lastly, I suggest you get 5 new fasteners to connect the downpipe to the turbo exhaust flange. PB Blaster is your best friend when removing old nuts/bolts. But mine were all hacked to bits and seized and I needed extractor sockets on some and a blowtorch on others. Replaced them with all new ones. I believe 2 of them are a nut/bolt combination (where the heat shield bracket mounts) and the other 3 are just nuts that mount on to the studs in the turbo flange.

I also replaced the up pipe because I was doing the turbo at the same time. If you're up pipe is 16 years old, I recommend replacing that too. My catalytic converter in my UP was actually rattling around once I removed the pipe. Probably not a good thing.

I also went catless, which is causing me some overboosting issues, but it sounds like a monster now. Love it!

If you're considering doing the up pipe, post again here and I'll give you a few tips. The seized bolts weren't fun to deal with, but I managed.

Good luck.

$$$

P.S. Make sure you use anti seize on all the turbo-downpipe connections. Well worth it in case you have to get back in there later.

Edited by Paycheck
adding more info

Ordered an invidia catted dp, and an HKS silent hi-power catback. Managed to actually find the downpipe in stock at rallitek, everyone else said it was on backorder. Catback is on backorder but place I got it said they are getting a shipment at the end of the month. Ordered an invidia uppipe, but it is on backorder.

Yes, will need new gaskets. My plan was to save up and do headers, turbo, uppipe and turbo back, but muffler falling off unfortunately accelerated things. With doing a ton of body work (car goes in Monday) it's bad timing, but car should be out of the body shop just as I get my turbo-back stuff in.

I'm not a complete newbie with working on cars, but I appreciate the offer of advice! I've got a buddy at work whose done a lot of working on older cars so I'll be offering him some beers to help me out. :)

Downpipe is scheduled to arrive Aug 20. Catback is supposed to be shipped Aug 30. Don't know when uppipe will ship, hopefully around the same time. Might have to just go ahead with turbo back and do upppipe after.

Are you getting yours tuned? Invidia says it's a must. I would agree. Luckily we have a guy around my area that will come to where the vehicle is to tune it.

Going to put in new o2 sensor(s) as well. might as well while I'm in there. Hopefully get some decent $$ back for my oem cat.

Yes, I'm in the process of getting an e-tune. I went with DynoTech in New Zealand because none of the North American ones I looked up would do it because I don't have a cat on the car. :(

Oh well. That's ok. Phil (dynotech) is the MAN!

$$$

• 1 month later...
Update: cancelled the HKS catback order. Was delayed until Nov 3 and other places saying it could be until the new year. So looking at Fujitsubo Wagolis mufflers with HKS center pipe/y-pipe w/ silencer. Should be quiet at idle/cruise but ready to roar.