LegacyGT.com

Air Suspension / Bagged Questions

I'm looking to start a 2016 Legacy 3.6R Air Suspension project, the typical Airlift 3P Management and bellow/over setup. However, I can't seem to find many others who have any information on a bag setup for 6th gen Legacy/Outback cars. I have questions that I hope can be answered for both myself and anybody else looking to use this platform for air ride.

- What air suspension are you using and where did you find it? Full Airstrut setup from a specific company, or bagover/sleeveover coil setup?

- Does any body/subframe notching need to be done in order to fully air out?

- Is 5th gen air suspension compatible? (in the lack of availability for 6th gen airstruts)

Not looking for any "just buy coilovers" or any basic non-answers. Looking for air suspension related answers only preferrably from anybody currently running bags on a 6th gen legacy or outback. If there is already a thread available (once again- AIR, not coils or springs) please direct me.

I'm looking to start a 2016 Legacy 3.6R Air Suspension project, the typical Airlift 3P Management and bellow/over setup. However, I can't seem to find many others who have any information on a bag setup for 6th gen Legacy/Outback cars. I have questions that I hope can be answered for both myself and anybody else looking to use this platform for air ride.

- What air suspension are you using and where did you find it? Full Airstrut setup from a specific company, or bagover/sleeveover coil setup?

- Is 5th gen air suspension compatible? (in the lack of availability for 6th gen airstruts)

Not looking for any "just buy coilovers" or any basic non-answers. Looking for air suspension related answers only preferrably from anybody currently running bags on a 6th gen legacy or outback. If there is already a thread available (once again- AIR, not coils or springs) please direct me.

They make one for 6th gens

Just contact them.

Grnlantern1 has a nice setup,might wanna message him.

https://www.airtekk.com/category-s/144.htm

Edited by PATS4LIFE

The resident expert around here on bagging a Gen 6 Legacy is user Grnlantern1. You might want to PM him or search his many posts in this (i.e. Gen 6) subforum. With any project like this, it helps to begin with a healthy wallet.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So I saw your post.. I have a 15' 3.6r Bagged since 2016.. My setup is Airrex because it was simple and quick and I did the prototype for them.. Since then Airtekk has made a kit using Airlift 3P Management System.. Our Front Suspension setup is different than Gen 5 so gotta use a Gen 6 kit.. The Dual Bellow Bag over a Coilover setup is the style I have and what airtekk uses..It's actually better than sleeve setup.. You adjust ride height with Coilover then adjust air pressure to fine tune ride height.. It's up to your imagination how you want to install air tank and compressors.. I drive my xar daily that why i went with airrex so I could keep my spare.. I will be changing my Management to Airlift 3P ib the future because of overseas issues with parts lately.. So I'll be doing a custom unstall in the future.. Drop a DM if you have any questions..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Another thing you might want to invest in some Rear Lower Control Arms and Toe Links to adjust the Rear Camber.. If set it up lower than ride height you will be Negative Camber in the Rear and will have to adjust it..

Splurge for the 3H.

You'll thank yourself later when you don't crash from a cross loading condition.

No thanks I don't want compressors turning on and off with these crazy Cali roads and don't want the hassle of connecting the plastic level switches and taking a chance of breaking one..

There is no extra load on the compressors with height monitoring.

There are extra parts and install, but you get a much better, safer ride.

When installed properly, the level sensors don't get damaged. (FYI, most modern vehicles, including Subaru's, have factory ride height sensors.)

It's worth not dying.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

There is no extra load on the compressors with height monitoring.

There are extra parts and install, but you get a much better, safer ride.

When installed properly, the level sensors don't get damaged. (FYI, most modern vehicles, including Subaru's, have factory ride height sensors.)

It's worth not dying.

Whether you have 3P or 3H you'll have the chance of dying if the Bag Blows..So I've been ridin with my life since 2016..[emoji848] I've had no issues with my Airrex System for 5yrs.. Just replaced Front Strut cartridges because of high mileage..

It's worth not dying.

To me, that seems to be really over-dramatic. If you're that concerned about safety, probably the best solution is not to bag at all, just stay with the well-proven stock suspension and let VDC do its thing.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

So you guys don't know what cross loading is...

It's extremely rare for a bag to blow. The bags are made from the same material as semi truck air suspension bags. Your car isn't stressing the bags much. You're more likely to blow a tire, so we're all living onthe edge

Cross loading is when all the weight of the vehicle is on diagonal wheels. This can cause the vehicle to teeter and loose control, sending you right off the road. This can't happen with height monitoring in addition to pressure.

I'm an AirLift Performance dealer and installer. I've done this a few times....

Edited by mwiener2

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

So you guys don't know what cross loading is...

It's extremely rare for a bag to blow. The bags are made from the same material as semi truck air suspension bags. Your car isn't stressing the bags much. You're more likely to blow a tire, so we're all living onthe edge

Cross loading is when all the weight of the vehicle is on diagonal wheels. This can cause the vehicle to teeter and loose control, sending you right off the road. This can't happen with height monitoring in addition to pressure.

I'm an AirLift Performance dealer and installer. I've done this a few times....

My friends at Autofashion USA have been bagging cars since 2004 and I'm sure they would have recommended 3H if I really needed to spend that extra money.