LegacyGT.com

Harsh noise

I have an 06 LGT that’s making a harsh noise from the engine after a half hour of driving and I don’t know what’s causing it. I don’t have the money and resources to pull the engine to see what’s wrong, so I’m hoping you guys can determine by listening. I’ll have a video posted below.

Here are some things I have done to the engine that might be causing the noise:

-Invidia up-pipe, rest of the exhaust is stock

-All exhaust gaskets have been replaced

-Local Subaru dealership fixed an exhaust leak

-I ran a K&N CAÍ for a few months before switching back to the stock intake

I don’t if anything else has been done by the previous owners.

If it matters, I’m running Castrol Edge 10w-40 full synthetic oil, but the noise has been happening with 5w-30 as well.

The first part of the video is a cold start, the second part is after warming up, and the third part is after a couple hours of Doordashing and a few heavy accelerations. The AC is turned off for all 3 parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doordashing...

Just to let you know, these cars don't do well with that type of driving. There was a story years back about a salesman that made many short driving stops. After Subaru put the 3rd engine in the car, they found out how he was driving.

These cars do much better on long drives. A lot of us have learned that, some of us the easy way, others the hard way.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If the noise is RPM related and not external i.e. AC, ALT, PS then its something behind the timing cover, in the engine, or a loose heat shield. when the dealer replace/fixed that leak where was it coming from? If you can, try to get a video under the car while its making this noise.

Are you running 10w-40 b/c you live where it is cold or did someone say it "fixes problems"? :)

Do know the service life of the car? When was the timing set replaced? How many miles are on the car?

If the noise is RPM related and not external i.e. AC, ALT, PS then its something behind the timing cover, in the engine, or a loose heat shield. when the dealer replace/fixed that leak where was it coming from? If you can, try to get a video under the car while its making this noise.

Are you running 10w-40 b/c you live where it is cold or did someone say it "fixes problems"? :)

Do know the service life of the car? When was the timing set replaced? How many miles are on the car?

I run 10w-40 only in the summer. Spring, fall, and winter is when I use 5w-30.

The car was just under 120k when I bought it in December 2019. It’s now almost at 140k.

I’m not sure exactly when the timing set was replaced; I didn’t get any information about that from the previous owner since he had it for a couple months (according to Carfax, it was because the car didn’t pass emissions in his county). The engine was either removed or swapped in at some point before I bought the car; the timing and valve covers are painted green

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk