LegacyGT.com

Recently got the dreaded p0011 code after replacing the radiator on my 08 XT manual w/175k miles.

Upon waiting for my mechanic to help remove the 2 Banjo Bolt screens I was able to remove/check the bolt below the air intake hose. Unfortunately the bolt/oil is covered in metal shavings.

After lots of searching, I am guessing my turbo is going or something worse with the engine, rod bearings, etc.?

The idle has been rough at times to the point of shaking the car periodically over the past few months of owning. Previous owner had the Timing Belt and Spark Plugs done 5k miles ago.

My current game plan includes removing the Turbo & ACVS banjo bolt screens, checking the Turbo & doing a Subaru Engine Oil Flush.

Will this be enough or does the entire engine need to be disassembled/cleaned due to the metal residues?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice! This is my first Subaru/turbo & unfortunately bought it under a time crunch without the proper research, knowledge or help at the time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It's a crap shoot at best. I assume you have read the sticky's up top of these few forums.

IMO depending on the amount of metal in the filter...start saving your money.

You can also post a reference to this thread in the 4th Gen forum to get more replies... but I think your going to get the same reply.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's a crap shoot at best. I assume you have read the sticky's up top of these few forums.

IMO depending on the amount of metal in the filter...start saving your money.

You can also post a reference to this thread in the 4th Gen forum to get more replies... but I think your going to get the same reply.

Thank you Max Capacity

I've been searching the sticky's/forums and figure it will not be a cheap fix. Just trying to get the best game plan to avoid more damage & down time. Still kicking myself for not grabbing a picture of the first bolt before cleaning lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So thankfully upon pulling the oil pan it was clean of metal shavings and the engine looks good!

The turbo on the other had has play in both blades and will need to be replaced.

Has anyone tried the Turbos from Rock Auto?

Looking at the Ultra-Power or Rotomaster but haven't found any reviews on either yet. Wish I could upgrade but just trying to get back on the road at this pace.

No reviews b/c most folks who run them aren't the reviewing type :) its either a situation where they "need the car running" or they dont want others to know they arent running a non-IHI/Name Brand snail. Most owner arent on forums they are "normal" folk that dont care about the part as long as the part fits their budget and the car runs.

What steers most folks away on forums, is if a cheap turbo fails your otherwise good $6K engine is toast, even when you are doing all the other things correct i.e. changing/checking your oil and using the right type and good quality oil.

You can go cheaper than OEM and get a much better VF46 from an aftermarket vendor or buy one of the remans VF46 from RockAuto at least that is a IHI Turbo so no doubt about fitment

Edited by GEE-OTTO

We also recommend member, JmP6889928 is the go to guy for rebuilding turbos. PM him.

or see post #4 here,

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2937560

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here