LegacyGT.com

Recommendations for Western hiking/camping

I'm looking at taking my older son to CO/WY early this summer and trying to find some places to go without the typical tourist traffic.

I can hike maybe 5 mile in a day right now due to COVID issues, so I can't go on really long hikes. But we are both wannabe photographers and just want a break from everything, so getting out into the mountains is calling us.

Looking for recommendations for nice curvy drives, views, and places to camp/hike that are off the beaten path in Colorado/Wyoming.

Thanks!

Head to Buffalo, WY take the pass over the Bighorns through Ten Sleep to Thermopolis. Beautiful drive. Plenty of wilderness area in the Bighorns to explore. If you head up to Greybull you can then head west to Cody. Puts you in the middle of the Bighorns to your East and the Tetons to the west. Cody is tourist oriented but the museum is worth going to.

is covid limiting your breathing at altitude? otherwise there's a couple of drives in Colorado worth taking.

That’s a good question :lol:

I’m more worried about long hikes that driving, but I may find out that I’m wrong. No way to test before I get there.

What drives do you recommend?

i'll dig up a few. there's the aspens drive. I remember it being a high altitude road.

The garden of the gods park in colorado

jackson hole in wyoming - yes it's crowded but still cool

driving the grand teton range with setting sun as backdrop has been a mind image that has stuck 30 years (did the drive twice)

the drive from Kansas to Denver (all day slog, but watching the elevation climb was cool)

Penguin probably has a long list of great drives. Look up motorcycle roads. They keep a list of little used route 66 type roads worth driving. There's actually a list on the forum (its how I ended up on the tail of the dragon)

That’s a good question :lol:

I’m more worried about long hikes that driving, but I may find out that I’m wrong. No way to test before I get there.

What drives do you recommend?

put on a 5 layer cloth face mask. go for a walk. If it doesn't bother you, you'll probably be ok. altitude lays you out pretty fast, especially as a flatlander.

• 1 month later...
Didn't see this thread until just now. Nederland CO and down to camp at Lily Lake near Estes Park. Tons of trails to hike in RMNP plus civilization is not far away if you need it. A lot of climbing areas too have great trails around them (you don't have to climb but the trails are nice) just outside of Boulder and up Boulder Canyon and on into Lyons. Tube the creek in Lyons and then go up the canyon to Nederland. Edited by JmP6889928