LegacyGT.com

Subaru Solterra

ehsnils

I'm sure the stunning looks or luxurious interiors aren't what are attracting buyers lol. People like them because they're basically hearty little tractors.

I chuckled. :lol:

I could suck start a snow blower.

Looking at the interior picture I think the design suffers from the "too many buttons" syndrome - you need to take your eyes off the road to know what you are pushing to avoid an interesting surprise. It probably also have a touch screen in the center.

Especially the steering wheel suffers from this syndrome - there are too many buttons and the intent is that you should keep both hands on the wheel, but if you have to watch what you push then it's counteracting the intent.

However I'd say that Subaru aren't alone when it comes to this, almost every car manufacturer do the same thing today - about as many buttons as you'll find on a stack of synthesizers at a concert. The difference is that the scene here is moving at 55mph with some bumps that causes you to push the wrong button.

453747.png

Yeah, this 'too many button' problem is quite frustrating to see. You would think they would have figured this one out :rolleyes:. At least, having physical buttons is still better than when everything is touch screen. I MAY be OK with the latter if all actions can be associated to a gesture. Still though, a fairly steep learning curve.

Edit: It's true though that it must be pretty hard to find a balance between too many buttons OR less buttons but then having to go through so many steps to get to what you want.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I think the problem is that we are trying to give people too many options for super custom tailoring their experiences. We need to pull back from that, simplicity and reliability over complexity. We used to have the option to roll down just front windows, 3 HVAC options, and two dials for a stereo...

I like buttons for the HAVC, it doesn't make sense to me to have to call up some screen just to add a little heat or AC.

Another question, why do they think they need that ugly black paint around the wheel wells ? That should be an option for those that think they need it for driving off road.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I like buttons for the HAVC, it doesn't make sense to me to have to call up some screen just to add a little heat or AC.

Another question, why do they think they need that ugly black paint around the wheel wells ? That should be an option for those that think they need it for driving off road.

Cheaper to put bunch of plastic around the car than putting painted panels. They gotta cut costs somewhere…

The Solterra has 8.3 inches of ground clearance. The Solterra is powered by a 71.4-kilowatt-hour battery pack and two electric motors, producing 215 horsepower and 246 pound-feet of torque.

Damn that’s a slow EV lol!

Probably to keep cost down and range up.

I'd prefer a fixed position rotating knob instead with distinct texture so I can operate it without even looking.

453747.png

The real reason that they do everything related to climate and stereo functions using a screen or capacitive surface is because it's substantially cheaper to produce en masse. Fewer unique parts, and, when brand-new, most infer that fewer buttons = more premium.

We'll see how long it lasts. Honda already reversed their decision from 5-6 years ago with regards to removing the volume knob from their head units and put it back on the 2019 cars. The new Civic has completely bog-standard buttons and knobs for everything once again due to customer feedback. I guess if enough people complain then it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say Kia/Hyundai have been impressive. Their range is definitely beating out Subaru and the tech feels way ahead of Subarus.

Gone are the days when people use to shy away as soon as someone mentioned a Korean car. They are making some gorgeous cars and also pretty good performance. The other day I saw their baja model and that thing looked so sweet!

I have also been thinking the same thing.

Looking at a hybrid or plug in hybrid for our next vehicle. Not sure we're ready for a full EV, let alone one that doesn't drive very far before needing a charge.

The CRV and Rav4 seem to be the leaders.

I'll also say we want cloth interior as the seat heaters seem to work much faster.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I don't want to be too negative towards Subaru, but man I don't feel they make good looking cars anymore. Other brands like Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, I believe, make a little better and sharp/aggressive looking cars. Subaru is behind in terms of design IMO.

I don't want to be too negative towards Subaru, but man I don't feel they make good looking cars anymore. Other brands like Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda, I believe, make a little better and sharp/aggressive looking cars. Subaru is behind in terms of design IMO.

That's been pretty much the case for a number of years.

I think the Outbacks since 2014 look ok. The impreza is ok but IMO the crosstrek is ugly.

That's been pretty much the case for a number of years.

I think the Outbacks since 2014 look ok. The impreza is ok but IMO the crosstrek is ugly.

When the 2010 outback came out, I was like 'what the heck is this?'

The 2014+ outback looks OK, I agree. But it's just 'OK' to me. I think they could have done a better job. Anyway, it's all subjective in the end.

But now that all cars will eventually turn electric, the overall look/design is the main part that will really set them apart I think (and obviously range). Subaru will no longer be able to use the low center of gravity, boxer engine design, AWD, etc.., as specs that make them special.

• 4 weeks later...
This vehicle is obviously a great option, given the R&D can be split across three models (Subaru, Toyota, and the rumored Lexus variant). That said, I would really like to see more PHEV options. It seems to me that the Ascent and Outback could command the premium that comes with that tech, whereas the Crosstrek really cannot.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

sat in one at the chicago autoshow this year. am i the only one who really hate this car? the quality is of a early 2010's toyota and bland design also of a 2010's toyota. does not feel subaru at all. they couldve done better with this

Edited by Fenrir1