LegacyGT.com

worth a rebuild or reseal?

discovered that the previous owners headgasket job wasnt the best. did it with the engine in, seaping a bit of coolant on the rear corners of each side.

cam seal and valve covers are leaking oil. trying to decide if i wanna throw the money at it as everything else checked out fine. compression, transmission, suspension, steering, etc. Solid car except for the above noted problems.

i have an offer to do a total reseal plus machining and such for about 2k, give or take.

Hard to find a better deal at the time, seems car prices and related costs have sky rocketed in the pandemic economy.

Considering i got the car for under 1000, seems like i still got a decent deal considering what people want for their cars in this pandemic economy :|.

but wonder if anyone else has any thoughts

Rebuilding isn't normally worth while for a stock engine simply because it need to be linear honed (?) I forget the term but basically each half of the engine needs to be put in a jig and bolted in as if the head was installed and doing so distorts the block as it does when assembled. Skipping this step in the honing process will kill the engine prematurely, you'd be paying extra for a machine shop who knows how to do that. If I were you, I'd pull the engine and have it inspected at a machine shop to determine whether it's the heads or block causing the leak, if its the head then just have them flattened and continue on with the reseal.