LegacyGT.com

Questions for those who have added an aftermarket sub to fifth gen Legacy HK amps.

Andrewr05

Right now I have an LOC running off of both subwoofer outputs of the amp.

Output connector R317. (Looking directly at the front of the amplifier underneath the passenger seat it is the far left connector when you are looking at it head on)

I'm using pins 4,5 & 10,12, which are subwoofer A&B + and subwoofer A&b - as per the schematic below.

(https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2542823&postcount=8)

My LOC has L&R high level input wires.

I have both voice coil outputs (all 4 wires as per above) connected together and run into both the L and R inputs.

Now I'm getting signal to the subwoofer, but it is very weak even with the gain turned all the way up and even with my bass knob turned all the way up. (distorted and weak)

It also seems to be adding a lot of interference/static/distortion (?) for some reason to ONLY the FR speaker.

Should I try just running one set of A&B into the Left channel and the other voice coil set run into the Right channel?

Or maybe I shouldn't even be combining the left and right channel of the LOC either?

I'm assuming most amps will sum the left and right channel inputs anyways, so if I'm only running one RCA input it should be fine, correct?

My LOC also has a ground wire, should I be using that?

The manual says not all configurations will need it.

For those of you who have done this, could you tell me exactly which wires you used and the color schematic.

Because perhaps I'm using the wrong wires, although I am getting a usable signal to the amplifier, it's just distorted.

Subwoofer is an 8" powered Kenwood.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113PAW801B/Kenwood-PA-W801B.html

I have a 10 gauge fused wire coming from the positive battery terminal coming in and running into the positive input of the amp, the negative ground wire run to a bolt under the seat, and the power signal wire run under the center console to the positive connection on the 12 volt cigarette lighter.

Edited by Andrewr05
Added more information.

I've answered my own questions by going and doing it, I separated each channel on my LOC so that the left and right channel are only getting one input from each subwoofer output of the existing amp.

So, LEFT input of LOC has subwoofer A and RIGHT input of LOC has subwoofer B.

I also tapped into the ground wire as well and all of my issues went away and it is working flawlessly.

If I had not had this issue of me wiring it in correctly the first time I would have had it all done in about 45 minutes.

Granted I did not have to pass any wires to the trunk either, I am using a down firing subwoofer that I have in the right rear passenger side foot well.

The stock Harman kardon amp is right under the front passenger seat.

So I tapped into those wires for my LOC and then had had about half as far to run the remaining wiring.