LegacyGT.com

Damaged Bumper Cover Falling Off

While driving through some pretty heavy winds, a rogue tree branch latched onto my bumper and ripped the side out it out. After examining, I discovered that the holes for the panel pins were destroyed.

I was able to push the bumper back on, but now any time I exceed 60mph, the corner of the bumper begins to detach. As of right now, the bumper disconnects starting from the side of the bumper in front of the tire to just under the headlight.

The vehicle has exceeded 100,000miles and looks GREAT inside and out, so I don't want an unsightly strap holding the bumper in place. At the same time, with over 100,000miles, I don't want to spend the money on a new bumper then matching paint job.

I'm curious if there are any other alternatives out there to more or less remedy this.

A vehicle bra/mask crossed my mind, but I believe those hook onto the bumper, which likely won't help my situation. Though correct me if I'm wrong.

For clarity, I've included an image highlighting (in yellow) the section of the bumper that isn't holding very well.

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru Legacy

car.JPG.c55976ab81f8a5c7b800009c34dfc1bb.JPG

While driving through some pretty heavy winds, a rogue tree branch latched onto my bumper and ripped the side out it out. After examining, I discovered that the holes for the panel pins were destroyed.

I was able to push the bumper back on, but now any time I exceed 60mph, the corner of the bumper begins to detach. As of right now, the bumper disconnects starting from the side of the bumper in front of the tire to just under the headlight.

The vehicle has exceeded 100,000miles and looks GREAT inside and out, so I don't want an unsightly strap holding the bumper in place. At the same time, with over 100,000miles, I don't want to spend the money on a new bumper then matching paint job.

I'm curious if there are any other alternatives out there to more or less remedy this.

A vehicle bra/mask crossed my mind, but I believe those hook onto the bumper, which likely won't help my situation. Though correct me if I'm wrong.

For clarity, I've included an image highlighting (in yellow) the section of the bumper that isn't holding very well.

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru Legacy

Is the Plastic Push Clip missing or has the Bumper Plastic Broke Off?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Drill new holes and use screws I think would be the cheapest solution. You'd have to take the fender lining off so you can get a good look.

Hmm that may work. Maybe if I can get a good screw placement along the wheel well, it'll be enough to securely hold the rest of the bumper in place.

I also stumbled upon a bumper "quick release" fasteners that I'm considering using. It's a bit unsightly, but it looks a LOT better than vinyl straps. Might as well do it for both sides to make it symmetrical.

https://allfitautomotive.com/product/bumper-quick-release/

Is the Plastic Push Clip missing or has the Bumper Plastic Broke Off?

Surprisingly the plastic push clips were still in place. The hole that the push pins go through to hold the bumper in place was broken. I've uploaded a photo from the internet that shows what I'm talking about. Notice how the bumper holes for the pins have been destroyed but the hole in the metal body are fine. That's roughly what happened. So even though I have the push-pins, they have nothing to firmly hold onto on the bumper.

well.JPG.478b03a28869d4906502f935a3a27b40.JPG

Another thought, looking at the pics. Get thin sturdy but flexible pieces of plastic that you can glue or epoxy to the back of the lip over the destroyed holes. About 3 inches by 1 inch for that bottom one. Then after it cures drill new holes in it for the clips.

Hmm that may work. Maybe if I can get a good screw placement along the wheel well, it'll be enough to securely hold the rest of the bumper in place.

I also stumbled upon a bumper "quick release" fasteners that I'm considering using. It's a bit unsightly, but it looks a LOT better than vinyl straps. Might as well do it for both sides to make it symmetrical.

https://allfitautomotive.com/product/bumper-quick-release/

Surprisingly the plastic push clips were still in place. The hole that the push pins go through to hold the bumper in place was broken. I've uploaded a photo from the internet that shows what I'm talking about. Notice how the bumper holes for the pins have been destroyed but the hole in the metal body are fine. That's roughly what happened. So even though I have the push-pins, they have nothing to firmly hold onto on the bumper.

Wow.. That really got Destroyed.. I'm Surprised.. I drove from Vegas to San Bernardino with a 35mph Side wind and never popped my bumper out..