LegacyGT.com

EJ257 swap with full donor car?

All of the threads on here with people talking about swapping to an EJ257 are met with a "too expensive/ need too much stuff" etc type answer. Here is a different take on the question. I just found a totalled 2011 STI at an auction near me that sustained a rear end collision. The engine and trans are untouched. The car can actually still drive. The reserve price is really low and I put in a bid. If I happen to win this thing I intend to essentially absorb everything possible from this entire car into my LGT.

With that said, I will have access to everything and this could easily turn into both an epic build or more than I can chew. I need input from people with more experience in this field.

Main concerns:

-Can this entire long block with all of its accessories work on my 05? From what I gather I'll need to swap my ECU to the STI one to make the dual AVCS work. If I'm swapping the ECU I guess I'm going to run into immobilizer issues unless I swap that system too? I guess I'd even have to sell my accessport and buy a SUB-003 vs my current SUB-002.

-Does the 6 speed need to go in at the same time as the 257 or can I do them one at a time? Mainly asking this because I need to do more research on the 6 speed swap to make sure all the stuff is compatible.

-Is there some combination of EJ257 longblock parts I could scavenge onto my EJ255 that would allow me to get the most benefit while reselling the remainder at the highest price? I would ideally love to just bolt the new engine in whole and sell the old one whole but if I have to mix and match I don't want to waste anything.

Also before anyone asks, the only reason I'm even considering this is because essentially at my current bid it'd be like buying a 257 long block and getting a free STI everything (6 speed trans, brembos, suspension parts, wheels, STI seats and interior among other things) that I can sell or transplant. My current motor is fine and my car drives great but the kms are always ticking up and I was planning on moving on to power gains soon anyway. I wouldn't mind having a backup powertrain sitting in my garage, but only if it's actually capable of functioning properly in my car.

Input appreciated.

steering rack moves over - lookup undrrdog's thread

engine moves over. romraider has a parch to make dual avcs work on a 4th gen. idk about cobb, guessing it would work.

transmission is pretty much a bolt up provided you have the right driveshaft

the front spindles/wheel bearings/wheels can be used.

The rear suspension probably doesn't work (i tried an 08 sti, nothing matched without lots of custom work)

The front seats can be loved over. There's a thread on it. Something about a resistor being added.

Steering wheel should work.

the rest, not much left?

if you get it, make a thread. Don't give up. It would be a cool swap. :)