LegacyGT.com

‘22 Outback ‘Wilderness’

Kojak

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-subaru-outback-wilderness-edition-first-look-review/

SOA’s response to being locked down for a year is to GoMo. Some interesting features from the factory, however I am not a fan of their new fondness for ridiculous metallic accents inside and out. But it’s a turbo wagon, so there’s that. Opinions?

Concur. And even w a new ratio, the trans is still CVT. Can’t see the rig-building overlanders loving an off the shelf finish, either. Curious what kind of production numbers they’re anticipating. I won’t be in the market anytime soon but I’d be interested to see how people customize in the next couple years.

Well, I assume it's the ATS (clutch pack) transmission and not the VTD (planetary diff), but no real clue if it is. The difference in my opinion is that VTD is better than ATS because ATS isn't activating until a slip is detected, which makes a difference when starting on slippery surfaces.

But if it do have the VTD then it's definitely a lot more appealing. People complaining about the CVT causing bad traction compared to the stepped slushbox don't realize that what they actually experience is the difference between ATS and VTD.

Personally I don't like touch screens in cars even though I understand the design practical aspect - you don't have to care about new buttons/switches, just add a new touch icon and you are finished with the UI work. So touch screens are actually cost savers in the vehicle world.

453747.png

Well, I assume it's the ATS (clutch pack) transmission and not the VTD (planetary diff), but no real clue if it is. The difference in my opinion is that VTD is better than ATS because ATS isn't activating until a slip is detected, which makes a difference when starting on slippery surfaces.

It probably is ATS, that is not true at about Subaru not activating the ATS until it slips. Under normal part throttle driving the Subaru applies the ATS with a duty cycle. From the datalogs I have seen, under normal driving the Front/Ratio 70/30-60/40 range. I don't think Subaru ever fully disengages the rear differential even when throttle is 0 and the vehicle is coasting

It probably is ATS, that is not true at about Subaru not activating the ATS until it slips. Under normal part throttle driving the Subaru applies the ATS with a duty cycle. From the datalogs I have seen, under normal driving the Front/Ratio 70/30-60/40 range. I don't think Subaru ever fully disengages the rear differential even when throttle is 0 and the vehicle is coasting

While driving that might be true, but when starting from a standstill it has a tendency to slip a bit before traction sets in and unless the traction control is disabled the throttle is cut. The vehicles with ATS also understeers more than vehicles with the other types of traction systems.

I'm on my 8th Subie now and have experienced most of the traction systems with their advantages and disadvantages. Best traction experience was the third gen Outback with the 4EAT/VTD that I had. But the manuals weren't bad either. The ATS is as I see it a "cheapo" solution closer to the Haldex solution - which works but isn't performing as well as the VTD. The difference between a proactive and a reactive system is noticeable for me.

453747.png

For the less extreme overlanders and Subaru's general customer-base, I feel they made the right move with the equipment on the Wilderness. If I had the dough I wouldn't mind shelling it out for one. I just don't believe Subaru was looking to step on the 4Runner or Wrangler's toes with this.

• 1 year later...

I am not sure what the big deal is with the Wilderness edition outback. they make it seem like people are going to go take these things to the max. I see them all over the place with guys with beards, and older people driving them mainly and I never see them dirty lol. I still don't get what people love so much about the cross trek and other editions. I loved my 06 OB Limited, but not to the point I am buying one again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, NORULZleggy said:

I am not sure what the big deal is with the Wilderness edition outback. they make it seem like people are going to go take these things to the max. I see them all over the place with guys with beards, and older people driving them mainly and I never see them dirty lol. I still don't get what people love so much about the cross trek and other editions. I loved my 06 OB Limited, but not to the point I am buying one again.

Just saying, we replaced our 16' outback 3.6R with an 18' 3.6R, because, the car just makes sense. It's big enough, holds enough stuff, great in bad weather. I have a many ski friends that have them. 

I'm getting close to thinking about buying another car, for Winter ski trips, my 05 has 304,000miles. If Subaru didn't have a big mark up on the car, newer outback, I might have bought one already. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, kzr750r1 said:

Sad day finding out the H6 was canned. Looking at the site. I laugh at the NA going 2.5 and the Turbo models going 2.4 including the bloated Ascent. :nono:

We aren't permitted to have fun or have nice things anymore.

453747.png