LegacyGT.com

My CVT replacement and unanswered questions

Hi all, a month ago I turned on my 2016 2.5i (90,000 km (55,000 miles)) here in Montreal in the morning and my transmission was broken. Replacement was covered by my warranty, and within a week and a half, and without having to argue, my local Subaru dealership put in a brand new one.

When I asked them why the original one broke so early, they told me they weren't allowed to look inside the transmission and insisted I had to contact Subaru Canada if I wanted to know what had gone wrong. Then I called Subaru Canada and their automatic responder told me that if I wanted any technical information about my vehicle I should contact my local Subaru dealership, before promptly hanging up on me.

Does anyone have any idea how I should go about getting more info about this mechanical problem? All I know is the codes they read when it rolled into the shop (P2751 and P0841). I want to know more details, like was it the Quebec winter that killed it, was it just a lemon, was it abused by its past owner, do CVTs just suck after all, etc. I may have a brand new transmission but I am obviously concerned now about the longevity and resale value of my car.

Envoyé de mon LG-M703 en utilisant Tapatalk

... they told me they weren't allowed to look inside the transmission ...
That is essentially correct. The general policy is that broken CVTs are shipped back to Japan for failure analysis. Subaru doesn't want anybody messing with them before their engineers have a chance to open them up.

I may have a brand new transmission but I am obviously concerned now about the longevity and resale value of my car.
I wouldn't worry. The incidence of catastrophic failure in current Subaru CVTs appears to be very low. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png